• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

This is just my opinion, but back when I was a bass freak, I got battery clamps that allowed me to connect everything to it under the sun. I dunno how many accessories you have, but it may be worth to get them now instead of something else. I know I'll probably get them some day when I have too many accessories or they wear out on me.

They're along these lines:

Posted Image

If you have a solder gun or torch, I would tin the end of the cables first...

Been years since I did this, but I put on a marine terminal that you can bolt a cable end connector into it. At the same time I searched around for a welding shop and bought some of their old, used welding leads they were getting rid of.In the long haul, if the terminals screw up, it's only them I replace and about $5 or less. The cables will last a lifetime and preform way better that stock.The marine terminal lays across the top of the battery, and under the end next to the battery edge, I put a piece of rubber to rest the connection on and it has less stress on the battery post.So when you connect the cable, it pulls straight down and not like a stock cable.The couple of times I had to do this, it don't cost much and lasted until I got rid of the vehicle. When this truck I own needs this, it will happen ASAP.post-11095-138698208069_thumb.jpg

post-11095-138698208065_thumb.jpg

• Owner

Hmmm... I took care of my terminals all these years and still have factory wire terminals now. But in the pass the few fire trucks I've had to re-do I typically went out to the Cummins shop in Grangeville, ID and picked up a new length of welding cable and solder on terminals. I would solder on a new battery terminal and a new ring terminal and replace the wire as a whole. Reason... You more than likely find out cutting off the terminal head and find the copper strands corroded as well most just try using clamp on style terminals at this point the cable tend to fail rapidly because of easy access of acid to the cable.

I appreciate the input. I have used the the clamp on style in the past and never liked them. Thats why I was looking into the solder on style. I replaced the passenger side negative a couple years back with a crimp on and it has held up well. My other negative is developing a crack and needs replacing soon. Just want to be sure and get the right size. I figured replacing the positives might be a good idea while I was in there.

My cables looked great. The ends were bad. Cut the plastic off of them and like Mike says they were corroded inside badly. Ended up going to the Napa electrical shop and had new ones made. Life has been good since!

I had bad cables on and old 85 Ford diesel truck and went to the Napa store and had them build me new cables. There were really great and they were cheaper than any other source that I had found. :thumb1: