• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Truck is "dead in the water"! HELP!!

You can go with the 165 but its not needed. And you can pull fuel strait from the stock pickup with a 150 so no need to do a draw straw

:doh: Dummy ol' me. Thats right! Thats why it came with a draw straw mod for the fuel basket... Don't mind the dunce over here! :cookoo:

So apparently I'm the dunce! What ever I applied 12V too was not my lift, My lift pump is in the tank. The only thing on the side of my bolck is the filter housing and some block the fuel goes through before the filter housing. So now after smacking myself in the head a few times I realise that I must of just been so frustrated and confused that I over looked this majorly. It oesn't change the issue or the solution to the issue, but I wonder what I applied 12V to. LOL. I'm still looking to do the AirDog upgrade, but I'm, glad I now know for sure my fuel system. What is that block before the filter? It has fuel in and out and that is it. Three studes hold it to a plate off the block and a screw holds a tab on it for the fuel line.

Thats where the oe lift pump would have been. There is a hole in the block for a mechanical pump. I blieve that is a hold over from the 12v engines. The block seals the hole, so it has to stay there. Since you have the intank pump, there should be a fuse and a relay on the firewall just to the right of the clutch master cylinder. Might check and see if either is blown.

• Like 1

Well I just got finished dropping the tank, the pump works 50% of the time. I apply 12V to the pump and sometimes it pumps fuel and gets me wet, some times nothing happens. Ive used multiple power and ground sources with no change. SO I think I can confidently say this pump is on it's way out. LOL. Now just to drop the money on an AirDogII. I'm glad I finally figured it out though! :ahhh:And for future reference from what I just experienced from dropping the tank, it is much easier to do that one would think. The hardest part was disconnecting those daggum fuel connections on top. I had a half a tank and it still was easier and quicker than trying to pull the box off LOL.

one trick to get the push clips on the fuel lines is to use a small zip tie around the clips and that will hold it in so you don't have to try using two hands.I just ordered two airdog 165's from browns diesel out in California. Hopefully they will be here by next Friday. I am still tossing around the idea of using a sump, but I think I will wait and see what kind of pressure I am getting. That reminds me, order a fuel pressure gauge.

• Like 1

Thanks Dripley! Ive checked the fuse, that was actually the first thing I looked for. I didn't know about the relay, good info! So that block is just a "fill in" piece and has no purpose other than just looking good?

The block does have to stay there, but you can disconnect the old fuel lines since you will be installing a different lift pump.
  • Like 1

one trick to get the push clips on the fuel lines is to use a small zip tie around the clips and that will hold it in so you don't have to try using two hands. I just ordered two airdog 165's from browns diesel out in California. Hopefully they will be here by next Friday. I am still tossing around the idea of using a sump, but I think I will wait and see what kind of pressure I am getting. That reminds me, order a fuel pressure gauge.

That seems like it would make it much easier! Fuel Pressure gauge will be ordered soon as well. Dripley, I figured it did, so I put it back but I disconnected the lines like you said. Thanks! :thumbup2: Ordering an AirDog 165 tonight. Ill be gone to Appleton, Wisconsin all next week so I won't do the install until the week after.