• Welcome Guest To Mopar1973Man.Com

We are a Dodge Ram Cummins Turbo Diesel forum. We are very friendly and helpful group of Dodge Ram Cummins owners. We will try to keep your truck running the best we can and provide information for diagnostics, repairs and even guide you on the best replacement parts to use. 

Registration is free. Registering on the site will provide access to many more things like...

• Contribute to the Forum being able to ask questions and get support for your Dodge Ram Cummins.
    • Contribute to Article Database adding your ideas and suggestions.
    • Classified Ads posted by the members. Post up your used parts and vehicles.
    • Member Garage where you can proudly display your vehicles and modifications that you have done to them.
    • Download files, documents, and Quadzilla Adrenaline tunes for your truck.
    • 911 Support Network. We've got a group of members will to aid you if your truck breaks down on the road.
    • Reduced Advertisements displayed to you.

Sign in to follow this  
dorkweed

Blue Tooth Question

My new Mac 'puter has both a "bluetooth" mouse and keyboard. The mouse and keyboard are powered via AA batteries. My question is this...................Should I turn off the mouse and keyboard every time I shut down my 'puter???? Will it save battery life?? I understand that each time I turn everything back on that it will take a minute or so to "connect" to the 'puter , but I can live with that.Thanks in advance!!!:thumbup2::smart::cool:

most wireless keyboards and mice turn themselves off after a short time to save battery power, its up to personal preference weather you want to turn them off manually or not. I myself have a wireless mouse and just let it do its own thing, only time I turn the switch off on it is when traveling, and I get close to a year out of it before I have to change the batteries.

Just axing guys!! I didn't know if the mouse and keyboard are on..........even when they're off(not in use)!!!!:thumbup2:

I have a wireless mouse on both desktop & both laptops. I use the desktop most of the day & just leave the mouse on. I power down the laptop mouse(s) when I shut them down. It seems the desktop mouse batteries last 9-12 months. No big deal.

dorkweed, I have a MAC laptop and desk top.

When it comes to the mouse, I found out in time if you shut it off at the end of the day, the battery seems to last longer than just leaving it on over night. Either way you will get long use out of the batteries, just longer if you power them down. The mouse is normally used more than the keyboard.

As for the keyboard, I never power down and the batteries usually last longer than the mouse.

After using PC's most of my life, it's just strange getting use to the keyboard and mouse style. But after a bit of time I prefer their style now. I'm just now looking into getting a keyboard with the 10 key, but that's just a preference of mine.

There are programs you might want that are Windows only, like Smarty Updates and such. My wife's sewing programs are this way.

If you decide to have Windows on your MAC, it's worth looking into VMware Fusion for the interface. The others do roughly the same tasks, but cost more and is not as user friendly. (Also, when using items like PDF's, Jpegs and such, you can just shove it from one to the other systems without issues. Play with it at the MAS store, that's how I found out.)

Fusion will use everything from Windows XP latest version to Windows 7. I have yet to see if they use Windows 8, because I don't need nor want it. If you have a valid copy of Windows, when installing and Microsoft wants more money to register the product. tell them you have the licensing agreement in your name and your replacing your computer, it shouldn't cost you a penny. It didn't me.

Here is another question for all of you..................I have talked to several IT guys locally and the guy at work and they all say to leave your computer on all the time except to do updates. What are your thoughts on this. They claim that the on and off booting up and down everyday shorten the life of the computer and is hard on things in the long term best to leave it on and just let it go to sleep. This is for PC, but our IT claims the same for laptops, he doesn't ever want us to shut them off either at work, just keep them plugged in when not in use. I have started leaving my home PC on all the time unless we are going to be gone for several days and I find it has been a lot less "Glitchy" since leaving it on all the time.

I worked for a large oil refinery and we lived on computers. Our IT guys said to shut them down when you leave work at night unless your being relieved and the next guy needed to use them. Per the IT department, it doesn't matter if you leave them on or shut them off, but leaving them running when not needed is just a waste of electricity. (we had over 2,000 computers (desktops and laptops) in the refinery).On laptops, they said to shut them down when not needed, same as they said above. But the biggest push from IT was to make sure you run the laptop batteries charge down every now and then to cycle the charge and this will keep the battery lasting longer. I've done this on all my personal laptop. And I shut my desktop down at the end of day. Just a habit.

Electricity isn't a concern for us at work, I work at a coal mine right next to the power plant and we get our electricity directly from the plant at no cost. Even at home here in ND I think we have among the cheapest electricity in the nation as we produce it here, my average electric bill for my house and shop is $90/ month with central air set at 70* for about 5 months and generally about 2 months a year where we need neither heat or air cond. We heat with propane furnaces and wood and have a yard light that burns 365 day a year, if I could get the wife to actually figure out that light switches have an off position I think we could shave about 10-20 bucks a month off the electric bill.:doh:. I whent without a yard light for several months and that alone cut 15 bucks a month off the bill.

My only qualm about leaving a puter on is that it still leaves a person vulnerable to hackers. Even when its in sleep mode, IIRC you can still be hacked. The only way to circumvent that is to disconnect from the internet before leaving it.Wow, to hear that again, "disconnect from the internet"! Like its 56k all over again! :lol:

I leave my desktop on 24/7. It only reboots to do updates but I've seen under task manager upwards of a month with the same run of windows. They hardly use any power unless you are gaming which I doubt most of you do.Laptops are another creature.. Leaving them plugged in all the time KILLS the batteries. That is unless you have a setting in the laptop to where it only charges it to 80% before terminating the charge process. My laptop has that and I leave it on that and even with 80% charge a year later, it lasts a longggg time. If you want to keep the batteries happy, get them to 50% and throw them in the fridge until you really need it. Most new laptops have battery life settings to let it charge to 80% and then stop which will keep the battery happy for a long time as I stated. Leaving them plugged in at 100% kills them in no time. There is also the fact that laptops are a pain to tear apart and leaving them on all day means more dust is clogging up the internals making for a computer that ends up running very hot. Some are designed better than others so they don't get dust in them as bad but others are notorious for it. As for just leaving a computer on and it dieing from just being on, I've never seen it happen and have computers 15 years old. If they aren't caked with dust (overheating) then it will last as long as you want to use it. Soooo if it's a desktop, doesn't really matter, if its a laptop then you have the battery issue. I would say the laptop dust thing isn't that important in most laptop designs.