• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

ECM Reset?

jcpleinis

Does anyone know if the ECM can reset itself or must that be done by a person? I recently took my 08 Dodge 3500 in with a turbo code P2579. The dealership read the code and said it needed a new turbo. Luckily I still have about a month left on my aftermarket warranty. However, when the warranty inspector showed up he said he could find no DTC and the CEL was off so no new turbo. This sounded fishy to me so when I picked it up from the dealership I plugged my reader in and got these to values " time since DTC cleared" = 12 minutes and " miles since DTC cleared" = 6 miles (inspector took if for a test drive). Seems to me that either the dealership inadvertently erased the code or the inspector did. I'm not aware to these two values being reset by the ECM if the code in no longer sensed. The dealership told me to take it home and bring it back if the code came back on (of course they charged me $86 just to read the code). I feel like I'm just getting the run around until my warranty expires. Anybody have any insight into the inner workings of my ECM?

Codes can only be cleared by a scan tool. The check engine light can turn off by itself if it sees so many trips without a problem. Sounds like the dealer cleared the codes. But i dont see why they charged you if you have warrenty. Plus we would clear codes for free because it takes 5 minutes.I read that wrong, i see you have aftermarket warranty. I would keep a copy of the complaint to prove this was happening before your warranty was up

Codes can only be cleared by a scan tool. The check engine light can turn off by itself if it sees so many trips without a problem. Sounds like the dealer cleared the codes. But i dont see why they charged you if you have warrenty. Plus we would clear codes for free because it takes 5 minutes.

I read that wrong, i see you have aftermarket warranty. I would keep a copy of the complaint to prove this was happening before your warranty was up

Thank you. that is what I thought as well. I wasn't happy about them charging me as well for nothing. I have my own scan tool that is capable of reading and clearing codes. Not sure this warranty company is going to pay for anything anyway. They have since stated the DTC are only warnings and that they will not replace the turbo until it actually fails. They said replacing the turbo now is considered maintenance and not covered under warranty. I'm not likely to ever buy another after market warranty. They are not worth the paper they are printed on.

- - - Updated - - -

I think i'd be driving back and asking them to come out and look at something , and I'd have the scanner plugged in with the readings on it saying it was cleared. Ask them to explain that one!:evilgrin:

I actually did just that. Once I got my keys from the dealer I checked the tattle tail before I even started it. I walked back into the service center and told them the DTCs had been cleared and that it was done recently after I dropped it off with them. They continue to deny that they erased it and want me to believe it must have been the inspector. They would not come out to witness its current status. I will most likely go elsewhere than my local stealership.

- -

I actually did just that. Once I got my keys from the dealer I checked the tattle tail before I even started it. I walked back into the service center and told them the DTCs had been cleared and that it was done recently after I dropped it off with them. They continue to deny that they erased it and want me to believe it must have been the inspector. They would not come out to witness its current status. I will most likely go elsewhere than my local stealership.

Id've unleashed on them. I wouldn't care if it was them or the inspector, it happened when the truck was in their care at their dealership, plain and simple. And the fact that it's that close to running off warranty and they got out of putting a part on it, maybe a phone call to Chrysler Headquarters may rattle some chains. I always thought calling the head offices was a joke but I actually did gets response from Toyota Head office when I called and complained about the dealer, and then the dealer woke up!

:stirthepot: