• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Smoke switch

I'm literally looking for Smoke. And nothing else.

Why? All you are doing is wasting fuel and your money. Also, why do you suppose there are all the diesel particulate filters and urea tanks on trucks? People don't like to see the smoke and complain to the EPA and then we have worse laws to deal with.
  • Like 2

• Owner

Yes. I did have (past tense) a smoke switch. Yes it produces smoke but the function of it created more problems than its worth. Like mine all I got to do is unhook the MAP sensor with my Edge Comp and the smoke rolls. So all I did was add a switch on the MAP signal lead. Edge Comp would drive the ECM signal to max boost.Problem... Max boost means max retarded timing. Which in turns means lower MPG's and lower power. So after about year or so I ditched it completely. I would say smoke switch is junk idea. Even with a truck build for power that does produce smoke tend to just prove your a poor tuner. Because a good tuner should be capable of making big horse power with little smoke. I'm at around 400 HP now and have little to no smoke and proud of it! Basically smoke switch drives the MAP signal to the highest boost without tripping the over boost code or defueling.27.2 MPG... Catch me if you can.post-2-138698208792_thumb.jpg

Basically, what you're creating is a whole bunch of fuel in the cylinders without the accompaniment of adequate air for proper combustion.Too much (relatively) and you wash down the cylinder walls of their lubrication, which is a new problem all together. Also the chance for excess fuel to make its way past the rings and into the oil.Granted, these are worst-case scenarios, but valid and probable concerns.

• Owner

Well you put us to the test and found out no one gets there head bit off. Just the truth is told to the poster the best way we can. But back to the smoke thing. I found this out about smoke. I've got a speed zone in New Meadows, ID from 25, 35, to 55 MPH. All the locals know this and what you do is get to the 35 MPH speed limit sign doing 35 MPH get into 4th gear and mat the throttle. Take note of your speed at the 55 MPH sign which is about 180 feet from the 35 speed limit sign. Set on 5x5 with the full cloud of smoke I'm doing 61-62 MPH at the 55 MPH. Set on 5x3 which in nearly smoke less for me I cross the sign at 65 MPH. This has been witness by my friend in New Meadows, ID. So just more food for thought...Yeah I know your just yanking everyones chain... :tongue: