• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Who's Burning???

dorkweed

Didn't know wood burning was popular in NoDak!!! That's good to know, as it's where I may retire to. Is it hard to find wood sources???

There is wood everywhere and wood burning is really popular along with coal furnaces. Wood is plenty if you are not picky about what you burn. Most of what we have is cotton wood, several different kinds of ash and elm trees with Chinese elm being the most abundant as that was the popular tree to plant as shelterbelts 40-60 years ago and they are all dying off now. Then you get into the different kinds of oak and maple along rivers here and there. #1 and #2 are cottonwood and Chinese elm for me probably get a 50/50 mix most years but this year it was almost 100% Chinese elm.
  • Like 1

There is wood everywhere and wood burning is really popular along with coal furnaces. Wood is plenty if you are not picky about what you burn. Most of what we have is cotton wood, several different kinds of ash and elm trees with Chinese elm being the most abundant as that was the popular tree to plant as shelterbelts 40-60 years ago and they are all dying off now. Then you get into the different kinds of oak and maple along rivers here and there. #1 and #2 are cottonwood and Chinese elm for me probably get a 50/50 mix most years but this year it was almost 100% Chinese elm.

I'm not picky at all. Free and close are great mottos for wood burners: unless you're a wood burning snob!!!!:duh::lmao2::lmao: I burned a lot of box elder and ash last winter; and will again this year. I guess if'n I move up there, I could always ask the farmers/ranchers to cut down the standing dead trees in their shelter belts and all!!! That way they don't have to plow around it and/or move it themselves. Thanks!!!:thumb1::cool:

• Owner

Up here Tamarack (or Larch) is considered Platinum wood up here. The Gold is Redfir. Me I grab anything close to the road that I can cut up and load in my trailer without busting too much tail to get it. If I got to work excessively them there is no need to even try. There is so much fire kill wood its just stupid to pass up Alpine fir and Spruce which is considered Silver grade. So I've just got to haul home a bit extra to make it through the winter so what. :rolleyes:

Up here Tamarack (or Larch) is considered Platinum wood up here. The Gold is Redfir. Me I grab anything close to the road that I can cut up and load in my trailer without busting too much tail to get it. If I got to work excessively them there is no need to even try. There is so much fire kill wood its just stupid to pass up Alpine fir and Spruce which is considered Silver grade. So I've just got to haul home a bit extra to make it through the winter so what. :rolleyes:

As the old adage goes, "firewood warms you thrice". ...wait, 3 times? Lets think about that one: 1. Gathering it 2. Unloading it 3. Splitting 4. Stacking 5. Gathering again 6. Burning it. :lmao:

I'm not picky at all. Free and close are great mottos for wood burners: unless you're a wood burning snob!!!!:duh::lmao2::lmao: I burned a lot of box elder and ash last winter; and will again this year. I guess if'n I move up there, I could always ask the farmers/ranchers to cut down the standing dead trees in their shelter belts and all!!! That way they don't have to plow around it and/or move it themselves. Thanks!!!:thumb1::cool:

Most land owners and anyone with trees are always grateful for anyone willing to help in the cleanup of dead trees and always free. Heck you really wouldn't need your chainsaw, most even have it cut up into splitting size lengths and give that away for free most times, if you watch the free classifieds there is always a ton of free wood. I try to stay away from box elder, that stuff is usually rotted out while it is still alive and it smells awful when burned kind of a stale musty moldy dirty socks smell to it, I did split some from my uncles land last weekend as he had it cut up already but it too was half rotted out. If you find a large one still alive they can be ok but once dead I leave them alone myself.

• Owner
post-2-138698209125_thumb.jpgSo I got the 96 Dodge out and hitched up the BigTex Wagon and wheeled over to the wood pile with the ATV and splitter. In 3 hours managed to fill the BigTex completely full of split wood. Sad part is its all wet and will have to dry under the trees out back. But I've still got enough wood to fill the BigTex 4-5 more times.:hyper:

Finally got power back on from our blizzard, super heavy wet snow /sleet mix followed by high winds and we were without phone and power for about 18 hours, had the wood burner fired up along with the generator.Trees and branches down all over the yard, what a mess.:ahhh:

Hey, Mt.Tom I'll tell you why Mike used the 96....that my truck and he just hitched up and moved the trailer over to where I'M going to be unloading and stacking it. Yep! That's the spot he picked. Now isn't he Sweet? Love MoparMom

Hey, Mt.Tom I'll tell you why Mike used the 96....that my truck and he just hitched up and moved the trailer over to where I'M going to be unloading and stacking it. Yep! That's the spot he picked. Now isn't he Sweet? Love MoparMom

Is Mike making you work for your heat?

Oh yea....... THAT is what you call a real loving son!

Hey Mike are you running your winter fronts full time already? I'm not too far away from putting mine on, usually by mid to late October we are well into the 20's and 30's at night time, and highs in the low to mid 50s. Theres always exceptions but I've been caught in mid to upper 60 degree weather with them on and never saw a lick over 190*. Speaking of which, my thermostat has been opening up and swinging again, from low 180s up to 190* :banghead:. Time for another new one I guess.