• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

No Backup Lights

The backup lights on my 2nd gen truck don't work.So naturally I thought the bulbs were burned out.When I checked I found both bulbs were good.I am guessing that there must be a backup light switch some where in or on the auto tranny. When I tried to look up backup light switches at Geno's or Rock AutoI can find switches for the manual trans but not the auto.Maybe the switch is mounted internally in the trans????Anyone know where this switch is and if it is replaceable without pulling the trans apart?Should I be looking for some other possible culprit for my backup light problem?

Just changed mine.. Neutral safety switch... Was only 12.00 at advance

order online and use the code trt30 and save 30%

- - - Updated - - -

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_neutral-safety-switch-bwd_20971212-p?searchTerm=neutral+safety+switch

- - - Updated - - -

You can check it by unplugging the plug from the sending unit, put a jump wire between the first and third terminal while the key is on and if it works replace the neutral safety switch, if not you have another problem... And don't forget to check the 15 amp fuse in the breaker box:thumb1:

• Like 3

I recently bought a '99 and when I got it home I realized the back up lights weren't working. I started looking for the switch and then decided to check the fuse. It was blown and ended up being an easy fix. Just my .02.

The backup lights on my 2nd gen truck don't work. So naturally I thought the bulbs were burned out. When I checked I found both bulbs were good. I am guessing that there must be a backup light switch some where in or on the auto tranny. When I tried to look up backup light switches at Geno's or Rock Auto I can find switches for the manual trans but not the auto. Maybe the switch is mounted internally in the trans???? Anyone know where this switch is and if it is replaceable without pulling the trans apart? Should I be looking for some other possible culprit for my backup light problem?

Check #7 fuse. In the cab driver's side

Check #7 fuse. In the cab driver's side

Ya, I did the obvious, like check the bulbs and fuse but still had no lights. I also looked for skinned or kinked wires but didn't see anything obvious.:shrug: Will look at the switch after I check the jumper wire to verify the circuit is good.

i am interested in the fix yuo find for this. mine will only work sometimes. if i lift the shift leaver up like i'm go into park they'll come on. or just wiggling the shifter makes them blink. so i think the switch is on the steering column somewheres.

i am interested in the fix yuo find for this. mine will only work sometimes. if i lift the shift leaver up like i'm go into park they'll come on. or just wiggling the shifter makes them blink. so i think the switch is on the steering column somewheres.

9 chances out of 10 the problem with yours is the neutral safety switch which also has the back up light switch built in. My daughter's truck was the same way. It took two different switches to get them to work (the first new one didn't work, second new one did). The switch is screwed in to the side of the transmission right where the shifting linkage hooks up to the tranny. It is a very easy fix.