• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Going to kill the KDP soon - advice

yes. If you do a search on here for timing gear cover there is a post that has a great pix of the gear case with the cover off that shows most of the bolts.

Ok, found it. I see one bolt accessible through one of the gears, but I can't tell if there is one more bolt under a gear or if it's accessible through a gear spoke. Here is the picture from the thread you mentioned, and another picture of the exploded diagram from the shop manual. I havent put the fan and radiator back on yet, so I think I'm going to open up the timing cover again and double check. \ Click the pictures below for larger image. post-12776-138698210302_thumb.jpg

post-12776-138698210291_thumb.jpg

Ok, opened it back up and checked all of the bolts, 3 of which are accessible through the cam gear spoke holes. They didnt seem too loose but I took them out, used medium strength loc-tite and re-torqued to 18 ft-lbs as per the shop manual.Caveat: 18 ft lbs might seem like hand tite/nothing to the average person. I can't help thinking that this would easily be mistaken for a loose bolt as alot of us have the tendency to over-tighten and the "need" to know that a bolt "feels" tight as we're cranking it down. Small bolts, not much torque needed.I didnt see any bolts behind the IP gear. That part of the timing cover sits off to the side of the block since the IP pump is hanging off the backside of it.

• Like 1

Ok, opened it back up and checked all of the bolts, 3 of which are accessible through the cam gear spoke holes. They didnt seem too loose but I took them out, used medium strength loc-tite and re-torqued to 18 ft-lbs as per the shop manual. Caveat: 18 ft lbs might seem like hand tite/nothing to the average person. I can't help thinking that this would easily be mistaken for a loose bolt as alot of us have the tendency to over-tighten and the "need" to know that a bolt "feels" tight as we're cranking it down. Small bolts, not much torque needed. I didnt see any bolts behind the IP gear. That part of the timing cover sits off to the side of the block since the IP pump is hanging off the backside of it.

Well glad your's were "tight". I agree 18lbs is not that much. At least you are sure now.