• Welcome Guest To Mopar1973Man.Com

We are a Dodge Ram Cummins Turbo Diesel forum. We are very friendly and helpful group of Dodge Ram Cummins owners. We will try to keep your truck running the best we can and provide information for diagnostics, repairs and even guide you on the best replacement parts to use. 

Registration is free. Registering on the site will provide access to many more things like...

• Contribute to the Forum being able to ask questions and get support for your Dodge Ram Cummins.
    • Contribute to Article Database adding your ideas and suggestions.
    • Classified Ads posted by the members. Post up your used parts and vehicles.
    • Member Garage where you can proudly display your vehicles and modifications that you have done to them.
    • Download files, documents, and Quadzilla Adrenaline tunes for your truck.
    • 911 Support Network. We've got a group of members will to aid you if your truck breaks down on the road.
    • Reduced Advertisements displayed to you.

Sign in to follow this  
rancherman

modem or not to modem..... here are the symtoms

I am a Hughes net satellite internet customer. My system is router less, I run LAN cable directly from modem to the laptop.Couple weeks ago, I noticed more and more 'failure to connect' or 'not connected to a network' warning screens, (usually when waiting to jump to another page, or when 'entering' info onto a web form. Then, I noticed the little symbol (network connection ) on the bottom of my screen (by the time and date) would get a flashing red X through it. It would flash sporadically, sometimes once in 5-6 seconds, next time it would be once or twice in 2 seconds. I logged on to hughesnet customer service, and got into their community section. Posted my problems, and a couple of members ask me if my LAN port on the back of the modem was solid green or flashing too... It was, in perfect time with the red flashing X.I was told to check my connections, try a new cable, blow out the dust in the ports/modem.... and try another device to check if problem remains.Blew out the modem,Bought a new cable, (premium gold terminals)No Change, still flashingTHEN, I dug out my old laptop, and hooked it up..... WORKS FINE NOW. rock solid green connection light.Well, In the mean time, a Hughesnet employee who was monitoring the community site apparently got my info off my log-in info, and was able to run diagnostics from their end.... and concluded my modem needs replacing. Supposed to be here by week's end, Please return old modem in box! Diagnostics were run while my newer laptop was connected, not the present one that seems to work fine!:duh: My question is: What if my LAN port on my suspect laptop is damaged, would that appear as a bad modem? And is there ANYTHING that could cause intermittant connections.... such as a conflict in software within my newer laptop? Or even a virus? I left a post for them to RERUN diagnostics, I'll keep my 'working fine' laptop hooked up for now....]Hey, if they are willing to throw out new hardware for free (yah, sure it's free.... my internet bill is 75 bucks a month) I'll sure take it! I have a sinking feeling though it may not be the modem!

Yeah it sounds like the ethernet port on the laptop has an issue. I mean the modem isn't racist so it's not like its going to spit on one computer and hug the other. I assume your laptop has wifi so I would just get a cheap little router for it and run it off that. Wifi is amazing, I hate using wires at this point, unless I transfer huge files.

yep, wifi capable! you think picking up a router would be cheaper than getting the port fixed? I too am fed up with the myraid of cables spewing all over the table.. What can those devices $$ ? my speeds here are definitly faster than my old dial up... but still a far cry from cable.. satellite was really my only option 'here'... would wifi cut that back even further? I see when the cable is plugged into the suspect laptop, that it's pretty wiggly... not near as snug as the modem end.. I'll bet that's where the problem lays! Lightly pushing, pulling didn't seem to affect it connection wise, so I automatically assumed it was downstream. I think one of the grand kids tripped over it a few months ago... (might of been me too...) ahem.

Routers can be had for $50. The benefits of being able to drag the laptop anywhere in the house is just awesome. Hughesnet only runs like 5mbps and routers can keep up with that just fine, so the bottleneck will still be the satellite. Plus everyone can have internet without hooking up to the modem, it's all wireless.. If your phone is a smartphone you can connect to the router and it won't use any of your data while your at home. Computer techs would charge every bit of $50 to fix that thing. I would just get a router.. I'm surprised hughesnet isn't issuing wireless routers already. My DSL modem/router has gigabit ethernet and wireless N...free with the service. Are you sure yours doesn't come with wifi as well?

• Like 1

I too use WiFi for the laptop but I've done a few things to secure it the best I can. As for speed my WiFi (150 Mbits) is actually faster than wired (100 Mbits). I would opt for the WiFi too but make sure to secure it. It seem like all plug eventually fail from plugging and unplugging over time. Here is my stats as I type...post-2-138698209976_thumb.pngI would think also the socket is failing on the laptop for the wired ethernet...

sorry for my ignorance, but when you talk about security, are you talking about someone hitching a ride on your wifi? (neighbor, someone cruising around the 'hood..... etc?) before my satellite system showed up, I did my share of hotspotting I think hughes offers several types of modems, and of course mine is non wifi. I like tripping over cable. Most of my problem started when I got the new laptop, the ethernet plug is on the left side of the laptop, where the old one (dell) was out the front... It took me a couple of days to figure out how to route the cable away from big clumsy feet. I'm really starting to warm up to the wifi idea! Thanks guys

Ok. Like I've got a bit over 400 feet to my neighbors house. I can sit right here and log barely to there WiFi but move down to the guest and hit it every time. Why is this a problem. Lets say some wanted to do something illegal. There is no way to track down the WiFi user because he could be anywhere. So guess who who take the fall the WiFi signal provider. What's funny is for a Linux use its really easy to crack either WEP or WPA WiFi typically most people can do it in under 5-10 minutes without the owner even being aware. Then you can surf till you dropped. I've even gone as far as downloading AirCrack-NG for Ubuntu to play with it and what you can do. Note: I've never managed to crack my own WiFI as of yet. But now seeing the mechanics of it I now can secure a WiFi pretty tight. 1. Do not broadcast your SSID name. Most routers have a ability to shut this off. This will keep people guessing if you even have WiFi. 2. Change you SSID to something than default name. As you'll see I've got morningrstar.com as a domain name for my internal network. So I can call machine by somain name than guessing IP address. laptop.morningstar.com or michael.morningstar.com, etc. 3. Use a WPA encryption. You find that most router will kick in extra bandwidth with WPA encryption this where I pick up the 150 Mbit connection now. 4. MAC Address filtering. Every network device has a MAC address its just another way to block outsiders from hacking it all the way in. So if the managed to sniff out the WPA/WEP password then they stumble over the next hurdle most small time hackers will give up. 5. Use a long password for your WPA/WEP password. I've got a excellent site that creates random 64 character password that are extremely difficult to crack. https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm Sample...

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp88AEENW5E

• Like 1

Very Creepy. 24 hours after I posted a simple question in community over in Hughes.net, I have a brand new modem sitting on my back door. Doesn't getting any service from big corporations take days or weeks? Geez, I didn't even make a formal request for new equipment! (I figured after 4 years, I'd be liable for equipment! ) oh well, It's hooked up and working flawlessly. Which makes me scratching my head! my newest laptop (the one that showed connectivity problems) now behaves perfectly. About all I can come up with is maybe there was a conflict in my software and a dying modem... I don't care at this point problem solved! I still plan on stepping up to wifi. Oh, BTW, what would cause a norten warning box to come up occasionally saying I have high cpu usage (98%) by Microsoft works calendar? I've never even used that!