• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Oil pump housing failure, probable rebuild...

AH64ID

I really feel that if there is any wear it needs to be fully torn down and tanked, then put back together.

I myself would do the same thing, total tear down

There is 40K miles on the cam, and over 1800 hours. While anything is possible the shape the gear was in doesn't indicate a break from anything off the motor. It looks like something went between it and the crank gear, and the brunt was taken by the cam gear.

This is a possibility as well, shock loads are a common cause of gear failures, but I need to see what the broken part of the cast looks like to determine what kind of break it was.

Really wanting to see all the parts when its out.

Make sure to keep all the pieces including those that may be found in the oil pan and inspect things very closely as you disassemble, don't do like some and rip and tear as fast as they can until they have a pile of parts and then sift through them after the fact.

:popcorn::popcorn: Started the "tear-down" yet???I'm curious as to what the "innards" of the Cummins looks like after the amount of miles you have on yours....................seeing I've better than the double the miles on mine. 196,1xx on MightyWhitey now. Hope it's not "too" painful.:spend:

• Staff

Oh it's painful at any cost.. this IS NOT why we bought a Cummins. The motor is still in the truck, hopefully this week will shed some more light. I am ordering the cam, 103# springs, and pushrods tomorrow. I'm getting a idle-2600 rpm cam, and will have a 4K rpm valve train :-) But no additional labor, and the added valve train support is a good idea with a cam, even a mild one. The pistons I am going with are the QSB pistons and they are double heat treated by Cummins and are supposed to be 30% stonger than the 03-04 piston, which is stronger than my OEM piston.. should be good there!

• Like 2

• Staff

Will do.. I'll start another thread when I get more numbers.. .but for now I know Hamilton Cam's 178/208 idle-2600 rpm towing/mileage cam http://www.hamiltoncams.com/17pecam.html Hamilton 103# valve springs http://www.hamiltoncams.com/10spfor24vcu.html Hamilton 24V HD pushrods http://www.hamiltoncams.com/24vahedupu.html The pistons will be QSB480 pistons, I'll try to get a part number. As for injectors it all depends on how mine test.. they work great so I am hopeful.. but I have NO, NONE, ZERO, ZIP, ZILCH desire to tear into the engine for maintenance anytime in the next 100K miles (other than routine stuff).. so if they are marginal they will get replaced. Not sure what I will go with yet.. BBi Stage 1, BMS 50hp, DDP +50's? I want a little more fuel, but mainly a more efficient nozzle for mileage/smoke.

• Like 2

Please pardon my faulty memory & possibly (probably) dumb questions. I read a while back about someone who had built a Cummins truck engine around marine pistons... supposed to be the 'hot set up' and then was stuck being forced to use marine injectors with a less than desirable spray pattern. I take it that these are not those pistons. Which makes me ask outside of "strength" what are the differences? Bowl shape?

No, the motor is still in the truck. Until Monday. Shop is busy and I had to wait my turn. It should be torn down and at the machine shop tues. I did bring the damper home, clean it up and it's been painted.

Why are you not doing the work yourself, seeing what you have done in the past a full teardown is fairly straight forward and I thought you would be capable. Seems if you have time to wait you could have done it yourself...................Just wondering is all.:think: Hey I know others were thinking what I just asked...........................Someone had to do it :tease: