• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Extreme cold!!!

Hey guys, Ive got a question about my 01 dodge concerning my heater. I live in Big Piney Wyoming (Icebox of the nation) no kidding, we have the coldest on average temps anywhere in the US. We see sub sub zero temps here and while traveling for work as a pipeliner I get into N. Dakota as well. My 01 is probably like everyone elses, it does not like to warm up in these extreme conditions. Everything works fine, thermostat, blend door, core ect. and I also use a winter front. Have any of you used a 12v heater or another alternative to help you stay warm in your 2nd gen? Any ideas. My heated seats help lol but while my backside is warm my hands are freezing lol. I cant drive and sit on my hands LOL. Any ideas? Im open, Thanks

My 05 is a bit slow to warm up and the only time I have been cold in the cab is once it dips to -15 or colder it won't build enough heat even with the front blocked off totally to get much more than luke warm air from the vents. My 02 was always a quick warm up and always toasty in the cab.By the way reading your signature you need to ditch all the K&N filters ASAP.

I'm just east of you in western Nebraska and we usually get national news for lows since we sit in a bowl. Anyways, I use a magnetic heater that sticks to the oil pan and the block heater. I run them on a timer set for 1.5 hours before work and only idle my truck for less than 5 minutes (kicks into high idle after 30 seconds). I have always wanted to try one of those ceramic heaters that plug into the aux outlet.

Speaking of winter fronts, what is a good brand or company to get one from? We moved to North Dakota this summer and I am getting ready for the colder winters up here..

The free ones...........a piece of cardbard directly in front of the radiator/coolers behind the grill with a 6 inch square hole cut in the fan clutch area. http://www.genosgarage.com/DODGE-RAM-WINTER-GRILL-COVER-94-02/productinfo/WINTER_FR_9402/Genos sells a really good weather fronts as well

The free ones...........a piece of cardbard directly in front of the radiator/coolers behind the grill with a 6 inch square hole cut in the fan clutch area.

I ran one for a few years and then didn't. Guess what? I didn't see any difference in the temp gauge or the heat output.

I ran one for a few years and then didn't. Guess what? I didn't see any difference in the temp gauge or the heat output.

Which one did you run, cardboardor the full front winter front like genos sells? I know the ones you snap into the front grill and bumper are worthless but i have had good luck with the card board right against the front rad/coolers with a small hole for the fan clutch and it works qite well for mine, just need to make it big enough to cover the whole rad /cooler surface.

Which one did you run, cardboardor the full front winter front like genos sells? I know the ones you snap into the front grill and bumper are worthless but i have had good luck with the card board right against the front rad/coolers with a small hole for the fan clutch and it works qite well for mine, just need to make it big enough to cover the whole rad /cooler surface.

The cardboard one. There was probably a hole in the center that was about 8 inches in diameter (been a few years, trying to recall). All I know is my truck just doesn't seem to notice if it is there or not.

• Owner

It gets pretty cold here and I do the cardboard trick in between the air cooler and the rad. I haven't proven whether it helps or not I just do it ! I want to try a 4th gen thermostat this winter.

That's a tough thermostat to get up here in Idaho no one even stocks the 200*F 6.7L thermostat. I'll just have to custom order it I guess.

In Grand Forks it will hit zero and below and will not be above zero for weeks on end, and unless he is towing heavy blocked off solid will hurt nothing just normal everyday driving but the trick is to open up the center section, if doing a ton of town driving with an auto and it is getting warm then move the cardboard in between the coolers and rad.I have had the grill inserts in all 4 of my rams and they are worth less to say the least in sub zero temps.He is not too far from International Falls Minnesota "200 miles maybe"which is the coldest town on record in the lower 48 in winter.

• Like 1

I don't think there is actually a fix to this other than an EGR.. I think dorkweed is the closest to a solution. Radiators do nothing until the engine is up to temp. I have completely blocked mine off and ran 2 identical tests on 2 identical 10F days and there was 0 difference between completely blocked off and completely wide open as far as how long it took to get to operating temps. I have a digital water temp gauge so I can see exact temps. I stopwatched it....the times are identical. The radiator does nothing if the engine doesn't have a reason to use it. I don't run a thing at this point. I challenge anyone to do the exact same 2 identical tests before challenging that.. Insulating the engine would be a good thing, but I think another big part of the problem is air touching the inside of the engine. By that I mean the incoming air.. The intercooler easily takes any heated air (from turbo compression) back down to ambient temps, meaning the engine is sucking in that 0F or below air. The intake manifold is completely aluminum and probably absorbs a lot of the engine blocks heat and the constant flow of freezing air keeps the manifold/engine cooled. In a sense, the incoming air and everything it touches, act as the engines "radiator". I bet the oil pan being open to outside air also aids in cooling things, but I've never measured oil temps in the winter compared to summer. At 10F going 50mph, I drove for 35 miles and it just got to 170F and never got any higher, with the heater on full blast. The thermostat never opened and the 10F radiator temps from the IR gun when I pulled in the driveway reinforced that. The heater core was taking away all the excess heat. Radiator didn't play a factor.. To me, since the radiator doesn't do anything until its up to operating temps, I would block the intercooler if anything. However, you barely build any boost just cruising down the highway so the air isn't getting very hot so you can't try and retain heat that isn't being built. Hence, the EGR.... Pieces of crap but they take the hot exhaust heat and run it back through the engine, warming it up. I see that as the only solution that would actually help matters. :2cents: