• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

PacBrake question

My banks has about a 1.5 second delay built into it. There is a reason for that but it eludes me for now.

The Pacbrake has that too since I used the ECM to control it.  I would have to say it is about the same.  What I meant was when the brake engages it takes about 2 seconds to build pressure since it has the downpipe to pressurize.  That's was my impression when I drive it anyways.

Mine is in the elbow attached to the turbo and is pretty instantaneous when you let off the gas other than the 1.5 second delay. The Banks came with its own little brain.

Interesting, I didn't look at banks at all.  It was between BD and Pacbrake for me.  My memory is a little fuzzy, but a long time ago I was watching a video and the exhaust brake cycled on and off a few times when he started the truck.  I wanna say it was a banks.  I do not know if that was owner or is that part of the computer system to keep the brake operational?  Correct me if I am wrong.

Wish I even had one.

They sell em everyday LOL.  I never thought I would have one.  I never needed it, but after a couple years of towing the bigger trailer I am looking forward to having it this summer for going to car shows and camping. 

• Owner

Yes. I can leave mine active and row gears never have the brake engage unless I delay 2 seconds then it will. So I could for example know I'm coming to a stop gear down and leave my foot of the throttle and have it engage right after the downshift.

If I want instant on. I got to be coasting for long periods but leave the throttle alone but control the brake with my thumb switch on the stick and the brake is instant because the delay has already been meet because throttle IVS (Idle Validation Switch) has idle switch set over 2 seconds.

• Like 1

They sell em everyday LOL.  I never thought I would have one.  I never needed it, but after a couple years of towing the bigger trailer I am looking forward to having it this summer for going to car shows and camping. 

Yea, they are made every day, BUT to install one PROPERLY I would need to change exhaust springs and get some kind of controller for the transmission. It would get rather expensive real quick. Since I am no longer working and I am on a fixed budget then it gets to be a luxury.......I have thought about making one though........

• Staff

If I want instant on. I got to be coasting for long periods but leave the throttle alone but control the brake with my thumb switch on the stick and the brake is instant because the delay has already been meet because throttle IVS (Idle Validation Switch) has idle switch set over 2 seconds.

I've never noticed a difference, thou I haven't ever payed attention to coast vs drive to brake time. I will now.

Interesting, I didn't look at banks at all.  It was between BD and Pacbrake for me.  My memory is a little fuzzy, but a long time ago I was watching a video and the exhaust brake cycled on and off a few times when he started the truck.  I wanna say it was a banks.  I do not know if that was owner or is that part of the computer system to keep the brake operational?  Correct me if I am wrong.

The banks comes on at every cold start and cuts off around 140*. Helps the truck warm up faster. A banks selling point was that it exercised the mechanism to prevent it form freezing up. I leave mine on all the time and it gets all of that it needs. The warm up feature is nice.  I believe a lot of them have that feature.  

The man reason I got the Banks was because I already had the Banks quick turbo, power elbow, and 4" exhaust. All I had to do was unbolt the elbow and bolt in the brake, very simple install.

While the banks has it own little brain, it is tied into the TPS so any throttle keeps it off and it is tied to the ECT sensor for shut down at 140 on a cold start.

The e brake s right up there as one of the best things I have added to my truck.

• Like 1

Yea, they are made every day, BUT to install one PROPERLY I would need to change exhaust springs and get some kind of controller for the transmission. It would get rather expensive real quick. Since I am no longer working and I am on a fixed budget then it gets to be a luxury.......I have thought about making one though........

Why would you need to change the exhaust springs? I did not think the brake generated enough pressure for that. I dont know that for sure, just asking.

If you make one, make sure to let us in on the build.

Yes. I can leave mine active and row gears never have the brake engage unless I delay 2 seconds then it will. So I could for example know I'm coming to a stop gear down and leave my foot of the throttle and have it engage right after the downshift.

I noticed this too. 

12V trucks came factory with lower pressure exhaust valve springs, IIRC around 30lbs.

Looking at he mods in MnToms sig and his power I would have thought he had them. They are needed if drive exceeds 30psi.

Far as I know I have stock springs. I don't have the stock turbo though. I have an HX with what I was told "an updated exhaust housing" by the guy who did the work. I don't know how many of you remember Piers Harry, but he is the one I got this turbo from. I can hit 40+ psi booost with the probane if I want. I have no idea what the drive pressure is on it.

• Staff

Far as I know I have stock springs. I don't have the stock turbo though. I have an HX with what I was told "an updated exhaust housing" by the guy who did the work. I don't know how many of you remember Piers Harry, but he is the one I got this turbo from. I can hit 40+ psi booost with the probane if I want. I have no idea what the drive pressure is on it.

HX35? If so then your drive is going to be above 40. I would verify those springs if your hitting that much boost. A valve touching a piston is $$$

• Like 1