• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

x50v

Well, lost 2nd gear on stock trans at 70,000 miles. Put in new Jasper with triple disc converter, got 5 miles, hit slight upgrade and got a bad shudder as driving on the bumps on the side of the road, never had this issue on the stock trans. They replace the trans, same problem, replaced both u-joints, same problem, they said they couldn't figure it out and good bye. Drove another 1,000 plus and found code for overdrive and converter slip. Replaced and installed #3 trans, still shudders. Had a Dodge dealer check out the truck while #2 was in and they couldn't find anything wrong. With #3 in, test drove (put in 2nd, tow haul mode, exhaust brake on to lock converter) shudder in 2nd brakes on at 35, also shudder towing up slight grade, down shift to 3rd no problem. Anyone experience this? Jasper found an issue with the torque converter on #1, they are supposed to call me after the teardown of #2.

Update......Well Jasper called and said nothing was wrong with trans #2 and that it was my truck. I said I drove into the shop no shudder and drove out with a shudder, how can it be my truck?

Edited by x50v

Sounds like converter issues to me. I cant believe you got three in a row but I suppose anything is possible. Are they putting the correct trans fluid in?

They are putting in synthetic fluid or the dodge, they say

- - - Updated - - -

I am in Lompoc, CA north of Santa Barbara

• 2 weeks later...

Well it sounds like a TQ converter problem. Honestly, there isn't much to these auto's, and unless someone just doesnt know what they are doing, not to much they can screw up. I've gone through a number of these trans, and unless they used used parts/didn't adjust bands properly, or maybe your trans cooler had bunch of metal in, didn't do proper flush before new trans install? Again, it sounds like TQ converter, but would like to know more details: Did cooler/lines get flushed? Do they keep reusing the same TQ converter, without having it checked/opened up? What ARE they doing to trans once it's pulled out/opened up/inspected? Anything? Or just looking at it, and putting back together?

• 1 month later...

Got home from my 10,500 mile trip on trans #3. Still can't figure it out. Fluid is a little high on the stick, they said they used synthetic fluid, also when I was taking my rv back to storage, I got on it. 1st was fine, 2nd shift and tq lock was fine, 3rd shifted fine, but when the tq was sent the signal to lock, the engine redlined, then I backed off, the tq of course shouldn't be it as it was unlocked under load, then when given the command to lock... maybe the clutch pack lost fluid pressure and slipped the clutches? I am going to try one more 500 mile pulling trip, I think I will have to take it to Santa Maria Diesel for warranty work for #4 trans and TQ.

Carrier bearing?...

I seem to recall that there was a problem with driveline shudder that turned out to be remedied by shimming the carrier bearing so that the both driveshaft halves were more in line with each other. It didn't take a whole lot of shims to eliminate it. Here is a TSB about it: http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2004/03-003-04.htm

edit: It sounds like the best way to stop the shudder (IF it is driveshaft related) is to get a one piece shaft made for it.

Edited by MnTom

• 3 weeks later...

Two weeks in Santa maria diesel no calls back. I called twice. They said they drove it and it is fine. I said I told you it only did it while towing, did you ckeck for a computer code? NO!! I said check for a slippage code,still no call back.