• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Lift pump placement

OH, one more install question... I forgot where I saw this write up, but I had come across an AirDog installation where someone had actually gone ahead and installed a check valve on the fuel line so that when they changed the filters they were able to do it with less muss/ fuss by simply turning off the valve, draining the filters and changing them... Has anyone else done this? I know it would require a few more pieces/ parts but it maybe worthwhile to do while I have everything taken apart anyway? Also curious if there is a way to add a heating element to the AD, bc I have been debating whether or not to run the new supply through the stock filter with heater or not... I live in the mountains in CO and we have had issues starting the truck and getting it to stay going on those really cold mornings (-10 to -25) We were officially the "icebox of the nation" until some town in MI claimed that they were a few years ago.. Either way, we have about 3 months of the year where at some point during the day it is in the negative temp range. If I lived somewhere a little warmer I wouldn't worry about it... ANY THOUGHTS?

Run it through the stock housing for the water separation, the ad doesn't separate as well as the stock one. I personally don't believe the heater in the stock housing does much good, I believe there is way to much fuel going through it to be able to heat anything. Most of your heat is going to come from the vp44 and engine returns. Get your self a good anti-gel and you will be good, stay away from the big names like howes and power service. I went with Amalgamated TDR-WDA. I have had good luck with it and people swear by it. You will need to order a big line kit from Vulcan to run from the filter to the vp44. I went with the 1/2" just because.As far as the shut off valve, you just need to put it between the ad and the tank, I know one guy takes off the handle so nobody screws with it. I am probably going to end up having to do something, since I have a sump.And for mounting the pump on the outside of the frame, I have done over a dozen on the outside and probably a dozen more on the inside with no problems either way. I personally ran mine on the outside and have no worries about it. It is tucked up there nicely. If I ever feel the need to protect it, I will just build something around it.

That's what I didn't like about mounting it on the outside of the frame... Especially since all of the roads around here are dirt... Even when I took extra time to pressure wash the bottom of the truck before pulling it into the garage to work on it, the fuel tank was/ is filthy.... and since we drive the truck on some less than ideal roads (poorly maintained forest service roads) to go camping, hiking, take the dogs to the river etc... I wanted to take the extra min and see whether I could figure out a way to mount the AD under the skid plate, but I think that mounting it outside the frame is really the only option. Maybe I can fashion some sort of cover for it, a mini skid plate of sorts to help protect it against all the debris the tires fling at it and give it a little more protection when going on those nasty back roads that have crazy dips that I try to take at an angle to minimize bottoming out... UGH... NO simple solutions... Looking at your profile pic it looks like we have very similar trucks (JR)... Mine is also red, a 99 and an extended cab with short bed... Thank you all for your quick responses

My truck is a long bed so I was able to mount inside the frame rail. If you know any fabricators they could make a bracket to mount yours sideways. It would be fairly simple (to someone that can weld and fabricate), sandwich 2 plates between the frame like the AD does, and weld a stand off such as a piece of angle iron or small c channel to the inside plate on the frame rail and weld (or bolt it) to the AD bracket that would normally be mounted against the frame of the truck. This would get it 90* to the frame rail, you would just have to cut it to length. JR

• Staff

I placed 1/2'' shut off ball valves on both the tank side and engine side of the filter L/P. This way there is no drain back from the engine or the tank. You don't loose engine prime. Whole lot less mess when changing filters or lift pumps.I drilled my transfer case bottom plate and bolted a protection plate extension to go further back for the pump and filter. When I need to work on them I loosen one bolt and swing away the plate extension.

• Owner

I mounted mine rear of the transfer case to keep the filters guarded from debris and also block as much cold wind from blowing across the filter. I typically see -20*F to -30*F for cold temps here in Idaho.

Posted Image

Then I kept my stock filter housing for the added heat. Even through the heater is after the AirDog the fuel returned to the fuel tank is heated from the block and fuel heater some more so the returned fuel will warm the tank up. No there is no problems with plumbing a 150 GPH pump through the stock filter I only see 1-2 PSI drop from idle to WOT.

• Like 1