• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Exhaust question,

I have a exhaust question. I bought a MBRP 4" system for my truck in my Sig, back in May of this year. I am just now getting around to putting in on today. I put everything on and it went to pretty fast. Before I tightened down the clamps and hangers, I wanted to check the firewall to down pipe clearance, to see if it needed to be moved or pivoted. There is a 1/8" at best. Here are three pics of the down pipe. The two from the top look like it is sitting right up against the firewall pad, but when you look at it from from a different angle like in the 3rd pic you can see there is a "LITTLE" bit of clearance, about a 1/8" at best. post-12369-138698210442_thumb.jpgI put a MBRP on my last truck (6/7 years ago) and I remember it had a lot more firewall clearance than this. If I recall correctly it had at least an inch, or better. What do you guys have for clearance? I took the long straight section under the cab floor off the truck, and pivoted the down pipe so it had more clearance at the firewall pad. This moves the end of the down pipe away from the firewall pad insulation. But with the exit part of the down pipe pivoted, it no longer lines up with the rear portion of the exhaust. It is off by 3 to 3-1/2" from lining up.I fooled around with it some more. It seems like the mount that is welded to the down pipe, where it slides into the transmission mount, is either too long or it is welded in the wrong place on the pipe. 2 questions 1, I am wondering what you guys have for clearance between the down pipe and the firewall pad for those of you running a 4" exhaust? 2, Has anyone else running a 4" exhaust run into this problem? I dont want to start my truck on fire and I am not comfortable with a 1/8" of clearance.Thanks!

post-12369-138698210421_thumb.jpg

post-12369-138698210432_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the reply, I never thought of a motor mount. I will look over the mounts in the morning just to be sure. Otherwise I am guessing the pipe was in the jig wrong when it was welded on. If the latter, I am tempted to cut the bracket off and adjust the down pipe as needed and re-weld it back on.

Did you loosen the clamp at the back of the turbo (1st picture) so that you can rotate the elbow slightly? It looks like according to the picture if you rotate the elbow slightly towards the engine you may have a tad more room, then you can compensate by rotating the next lower 90 on the exhaust (the one that would be looking towards the back of the truck) back the opposite way.JR

Hi Guys, just thought I would give you a update. I had sometime yesterday to work on the exhaust. I loosened and turned the exhaust elbow and also tweaked the bracket welded to the down pipe (by the t-case) with my big pair of channel-locks. I now have just about 1-1/4" of clearance between the firewall pad and the down pipe, good enough I think?Thanks for the tips!