• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Aftermarket tranny pan worth it?

Personally I don't think the extra few quarts will do enough to justify the cost. If your having cooling issues another cooler would be more effective. As for a drain plug, they make a bulk head type fitting you can install on your factory pan for a few bucks. Take the pan off, mark the position, drill the hole, and install the plug with sealing washer and nut on the back side. You have to pay attention to where your installing it because it sticks up in the pan 1/4"-3/8" and may interfere with the filter. I got mine through Genos. The only way I would weld a plug in place is if your good at TIG welding, otherwise you will likely blow through the pan or possibly warp it.JR

I'm looking at the Mag-Hytec and they supply the extension, gasket and bolts needed. The only thing you need besides the oil is the standard filter. I'm looking going through Thoroughbred Diesel since they have free shipping and the price is the same as everyone else.

I just can't see how adding a few quarts could do anything for cooling? It may take a little longer to get hot, but if your system is going to overheat 2 or 3 quarts is not going to make a difference. An additional cooler would do more for cooling than simply adding fluid to the system. I'm not trying to ruffle anybody's feathers, I just have yet to see any valid tests where adding a deep pan really does anything for lowering operating temps. (Other than manufacturers claims)JR

• Like 1

I just can't see how adding a few quarts could do anything for cooling? It may take a little longer to get hot, but if your system is going to overheat 2 or 3 quarts is not going to make a difference. An additional cooler would do more for cooling than simply adding fluid to the system. I'm not trying to ruffle anybody's feathers, I just have yet to see any valid tests where adding a deep pan really does anything for lowering operating temps. (Other than manufacturers claims) JR

Don't disagree - except all after market builders supply one :) But yes haven't seen any data. I have two trans coolers and a deep pan and I generally run 150 degrees or less on my new 2000 truck. I like the pans for service - but a $30 tap and plug will do same on that front.

I bought my B&M drain plug for less than 10 bucks. The guy that built my trans slapped my old pan back on. We were on the conversation of aluminum vs steel and his opinion was aluminum allows the trans to flex too much (remember the pan is a structural member of the trans) Dean may not know everything but he is very sharp when it comes to the mechanical aspect of a transmission. He even builds his own converters so if there was any real advantage to adding a deep pan (other than lining ones pockets, lol) I'm confident he would be adding them. It just seems to me like a cooler would be more efficient at cooling fluid, but that's only my opinion I don't have anything to back it up.JR

• Staff

I just can't see how adding a few quarts could do anything for cooling? It may take a little longer to get hot, but if your system is going to overheat 2 or 3 quarts is not going to make a difference. An additional cooler would do more for cooling than simply adding fluid to the system. I'm not trying to ruffle anybody's feathers, I just have yet to see any valid tests where adding a deep pan really does anything for lowering operating temps. (Other than manufacturers claims)

I agree. If the tranny fluid temp is 150, at the oil pan, than the fluid going to the pump is 150 whether if it coming from a 4qt pan or a 5gal pan. It takes longer to heat up more oil but conversely it takes longer to cool off. As for the heatsink aspect of the pan, the cooling fins would have to be a lot longer, more surface area, to be effective. An additional trans cooler, I think, would be more efficient because of the larger surface area.:2cents:
  • Like 1

I don't think a bigger pan really adds anything unless it has really deep fins & has it's own cooling fan. I'm not convinced that the OEM steel pan has much mechanical strength... we've all seen various thin sheet metal stamped pans rusted out. I had the pleasure of being onboard a twin 283 30' Chris Craft... which threw a rod. The engines had old school cast alum oil pans... This one had gaping holes in the sides but the bottom of it held... seriously, the planking was only inches away & it could well have sunk us 20 miles off shore. So I am of the opinion that cast pans are stronger in mechanical strength... As well as providing room for containment. I think that increasing cooling is easier to do with a bigger cooler. I had added one to my old C30... I've heard of guys re-purposing A/C condensers for max area.

• Staff

Q for those with the extended tranny pans... do you get an extended pickup to reach into the pan?

Nope all we do is hope and pray for plenty slosh. :cheers: Plenty of that in my truck An extra 4 qts. has got to be a great benefit beside aluminum heat conduction

I like my MagHey Tech it looks cool, it holds more oil, has a drain plug. Hey that's what were all about, right? I like more eng, more cool paint, more wheels, Tires, more trans, more stacks, more smoke, more tuner, more boost, more turbo. Whats not to like about MORE.

My local diesel mechanic said get one for the added rigidity. My local tranny shop who build trace transmissions told me to get one for the 10 to 12° temp drop

The 10 to 12° drop is not realistic. Again, it may take a little longer to get up to temp with more volume, but eventually it will get there. Aluminum will flex more than steel any day of the week. JR

The cast aluminum engine oil pans I mention were strong enough to sit a V8 engine on. I did it numerous times. I'm going to say about 3/16th inch thick. The side walls were vertical... flex? I don't think so. I think the fasteners might be a weaker connection than the pan. Now, the temperature drop question... with all the heat coming from the radiator & radiating from the hunk of cast iron... the aluminum pan might absorb heat in that hot environment!?