• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Thermostat

I've used another variation, I used a big enough piece of cardboard to cover about half the radiator. Still kicked the fan on when needed but helped tremendously with heat output. Also get some cheap spray paint and paint the cardboard before you put it in, help keeps it from falling apart when it gets soaked.Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• Staff

I slip a piece of cardboard between the rad and the air cooler. I find I get good heat in the cab with 195 degree coolant but at 190 it's already not nearly as warm. I want to try the hotter stat to see if it helps at all. I can't see it hurting in any way. By the way it's already been down to -13 here.

If you are not getting good heat at 190°, but 195° works I would guess there are other issues.

I'm not a fan of the cardboard idea. You block airflow to the engine bay. That leaves an aspect of overheating if its not cold enough. But airflow is also a factor. What I mean is the lack of air flow due to the fan being blocked. IIRC, it puts extra strain on the fan or fans.

If the cardboard is infront of the intercooler then the fan isn't stressed, and generally the fan doesn't cycle as it's too cold anyhow. The OEM front for my 05 covers the entire grill, with 4 flaps in the middle.

• Owner

All I can say is be careful. Remember the turbo is still capable of 250-300*F discharge temps even at -20*F. At least with a covered grill the fan can still sense the heat and lock if need be. With the hole in the center that guarantees the fan remains unlocked because the fan hub always senses cold air and never locks. With a grill cover the ambient temp will rise too the point of trip the fan to partial lock to cool. I can see this with IAT temps and coolant temps. My issues is mostly because of all the canyon grade and climbing I've got to do so with the turbo working harder than flat land then the boost actually is the heat generator not the coolant.

• Owner

I always stick a chunk of cardboard between the intercooler and radiator. My thinking is i want the cool air across the intercooler but not the radiator. But the more i think about it, the cooler intake air might defeat the cardboard. Never even thought about cutting a whole to let cool air hitting thr fan

No way to for air to flow over the intercooler if the radiator face is blocked. You have to have a entry point and exit point for air to flow straight through. Air doesn't like to turn corners unless the far end has a low pressure point (hence a fan sucking air through a radiator or cooler).