• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Late model 01, upgraded housing where the hole is smaller than the pin. NO KDP.

My understanding is that for up to the 01 MY it is pretty much hit and miss on the stepped hole for the KDP.

My understanding is that for up to the 01 MY it is pretty much hit and miss on the stepped hole for the KDP.

It appears so. I've read of people installing the tab even with the upgraded housing too?

My 1998.5 Cummins has no crank case breather bottle. Did all Cummins oem have this bottle ? I'm going to check the KDP and replace the front crank seals, is there anything else I should check or repair while It's opened up ?

Check the gasket between the block and timing case, it's paper. Mine was shot and actually fell in the case in some places. The downside is the case needs to be removed to replace the gasket because one of the gears is pressed into the case...I believe. I just did a patch job with rtv but it was a patch.

• 2 weeks later...

I wish I could find a tappet cover off a junk 12 valve, or better yet an enclosed CCV system for the ISBs just randomly laying around.

I was peering into my radiator between it and the intercooler and it's looking pretty knarly. Gonna have to come out for a good cleaning come spring time. Gonna pull the front cover and check the pin just to be safe. Going to replace the damper while I'm in there, trying to decide whether or not the Fluid damper is worth the extra coin or just go with OEM replacementat. Gotta get her prepped for a few good road trips coming up this summer.

Oh the joys of maintaining a 15 year old truck.

I've been down this road. Read my entire thread. Picture of the case bolt diagram on the second page.

http://forum.mopar1973man.com/index.php?/topic/7533-going-to-kill-the-kdp-soon-advice/

My dowel pin was fine, but it was worth taking it apart as several of my case bolts were loose, good opportunity to change the seal & clean up the front of the engine.

Deleted the puke bottle too.

Additionally, the "tab" most guys are using simply is not necessary for any truck with the KDP. Once you tap the dowel pin back in, a few hits with a center punch around the circumference of the dowel pin will lock it in forever.

Edited by Ironforger