• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

idleing and Engine warm up?

WOW you really did some digging! Great thread! I would have to agree that idling for a minute or two then taking off and babying it until full temp would be best. which is what I plan to do. But it just goes to show you these engines can really handle a lot if idling for long periods of time is supposed to hurt the engine according to the owners Manual, and Caj can make it a Million miles even with idling for a few hours than that's one hell of an engine!!!! Gotta love Cummins!!! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Staff

Like every Cummins I have looked up they want 3-5 minutes of operation before a load, and no more than 10. So depending on where you live, and your load I would adjust accordingly. Something to to consider is the effect of cold idling on fuel burn, atomization, and carbon buildup. If you cold idle then drive 5 miles to work it's harder on the motor than cold idling and then running 500 miles at 26K lbs.

There are several Cummins engines at the plant I work in. A p7100 5.9 in a 25T and a 55T Grove, an 8.3 in a 130T Grove, and 3 shuttlewagons with CR 5.9s. Sometimes they get plugged in in the winter, sometimes they don't. Regardless they almost always get started up, idled long enough to run through a prelim check, and then it's balls to the wall. Same with shutting them down, nobody cares enough to let them idle for a few minutes to cool down. They run em hard at a high idle for hours at a time right to idle then shut em down. I've tried explaining the detrimental effects of running them like this but I honestly don't think these guys believe me because in the case of the cranes that have been around since the late 90s/ early 2000s there has not been one engine related issue with any of them. Never in a million years would I treat my engine that way and whenever I do get in a crane I will go out and start it in advance or give it a few minutes of idle to cool down after running all day, but these engines have been continuously abused and have never missed a tick...yet. They are pretty tough platforms to say the least.

For those of you with hour meters "03 and Newer" look at it and figure your average MPH over the life of the vehicle.Just figured my 2010 hemi and came in at 39.8 MPH so far 59xxxmiles and 14xx hours, will get numbers from my 05 cummins later on. Good indicator of your driving habits and idle time.

• Staff

For those of you with hour meters "03 and Newer" look at it and figure your average MPH over the life of the vehicle. Just figured my 2010 hemi and came in at 39.8 MPH so far 59xxxmiles and 14xx hours, will get numbers from my 05 cummins later on. Good indicator of your driving habits and idle time.

At at my last refuel I was at 93,211 and 2311 for an average of 33.4. My average since purchasing the truck has been 33.8, and now I will start a new one with the rebuild.