• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Getting Tired of Snow Already

MnTom

Its 10 degrees warmer right now than it was all day. I cant remember it being this cold this early. Also cant remember it staying this cold. This stuff usually happens in late jan/early feb. We had a nasty snow storm in late october that put down over 4 feet of snow and killed thousands of cattle. Gotta be one of the worst in a long time

• Owner

I actually got about 1-2 inches of snow here and I fired up my ATV and plowed a few driveways in the neighborhood. The biggest thing is to turn up the gravel for the friends and neighbors because skiing your car down a steep driveway can be spooky. So I left my blade down on the ATV and stirred up the gravel for them. But man getting the last house done and my toes and ears were cold I mean COLD. Even at +10*F this morning and 30-40 MPH on a ATV it sure does blow right through you. Ugh!

Well, we got a skiff of snow last night. Believe it or not, I would rather be DUMPED on with snow and have to plow it all around than this stinking cold with the wind we have been having! :mad:...you canucks can take your weather back! :tongue:

Supposed top be the coldest night and day of the year...... Predicted low is -18* in town and the high is predicted to be -4* with a wind chill warning (35* to 45* below zero) that goes until Thursday.

Bleh, I'm burning up a 7 gal. propane tank every 3 days or so now this week. Doing the best to keep this darn trailer warm, but its not built like a house! I think I'd rather fight to keep this thing cool instead of warm!Too bad I could not get a woodstove in this puppy! :evilgrin:

• Staff

"Bleh, I'm burning up a 7 gal. propane tank every 3 days or so now this week. Doing the best to keep this darn trailer warm, but its not built like a house! I think I'd rather fight to keep this thing cool instead of warm!" Can You supplement your' heating needs with and electric space heater? That's what I do when I'm camping with hookups.

Oh, that reminds me. Yea I do have a heater. Its a presto dish. Works great, but I was fearful of it in one aspect. Being that its a radiant heater that focuses heat, the heat just does not fill the room up like a typical heater does. So its not as effective in that department. Yes, it does make a difference, but not as much as I would have liked.I was trying to get a local propane company to come out and put a tank down, but there are only 3 around here. One company won't hook up to RV's due to their insurance and the others won't do it unless you are there for atleast a YEAR! :banghead:

• Staff

I use 2 ceramic heaters each on the low setting, 750wt. The low setting is because The main breaker is 30amp. One down in the living area an the other in the bed and bath area. When it,s 25 outside, the inside temp is about 57 in the morning. that's when the main heater gets turned on. Your 5er looks a lot bigger than mine so I'm guessing you have a 50amp box and might take the higher setting on the heater.

mine is the same way, it just gobbles up propane when trying to heat sole with it. I have been using one the oil filled raiators in the living room and electric in the bedroom. The electric bill is alot cheaper than the propane bill in my case. I just purchased one of the infrared heaters like the Edenpure brand. It is a knock off and cost me $150, but it does put out more heat than any ceramic heater I have ever purchased. I actually have been using it in the house for while and as of now my impression of it is good. I have yet to see a power bill to know the actual cost of using it. It is rated at 1500 watts just like the other heater I have used. The advantage I see in it is it has a blower and distributes the heat better. I will just have to wait and see on the cost of operation.

• Owner

Like with my RV I typically grab the the tower heater from the house (ceramic) and take it out the RV for the cold day camp outs and it will heat that RV solely on that 1 heater to about 70*F on a 32*F day. Propane wise thats just plum insane to try and heat on these super cold days. My problem is on my RV being where the water line are for the bathroom outside the living space so mine would of be long gone froze up by now.

Like with my RV I typically grab the the tower heater from the house (ceramic) and take it out the RV for the cold day camp outs and it will heat that RV solely on that 1 heater to about 70*F on a 32*F day. Propane wise thats just plum insane to try and heat on these super cold days. My problem is on my RV being where the water line are for the bathroom outside the living space so mine would of be long gone froze up by now.

Even when I use electric heat I still like to rune the propane a little. The stowage area under the bed and bath area has water pipes and there is a small heat duct there to help protect it. One heater will not heat my 5th wheel just ot dang big, but I have hopes for the new on I bought and will see how it works the next time I get it out, hopefully soon. The job I am on now has me to close to home and I lost all my travel expense money.

I use 2 ceramic heaters each on the low setting, 750wt. The low setting is because The main breaker is 30amp. One down in the living area an the other in the bed and bath area. When it,s 25 outside, the inside temp is about 57 in the morning. that's when the main heater gets turned on. Your 5er looks a lot bigger than mine so I'm guessing you have a 50amp box and might take the higher setting on the heater.

Yep, its a 50 amp box, but I'm currently running few things on a 15 amp service. Keeping the t-stat at 63. Seems to be the happy medium with things. Jumping it to 64 seems to make the heater turn on much more frequently. So obviously keeping it any warmer like a house, which I would love to have at around 70, would take alot of energy to do. Ultimately, I want to put this trailer in a shop for most of its life and live out of it that way. But, one baby step at a time...

mine is the same way, it just gobbles up propane when trying to heat sole with it. I have been using one the oil filled raiators in the living room and electric in the bedroom. The electric bill is alot cheaper than the propane bill in my case. I just purchased one of the infrared heaters like the Edenpure brand. It is a knock off and cost me $150, but it does put out more heat than any ceramic heater I have ever purchased. I actually have been using it in the house for while and as of now my impression of it is good. I have yet to see a power bill to know the actual cost of using it. It is rated at 1500 watts just like the other heater I have used. The advantage I see in it is it has a blower and distributes the heat better. I will just have to wait and see on the cost of operation.

My wife grew up with those oil filled radiators. She told me they were junk, so we never got them. How do you like them? When the CZ heaters hit the market, my mother in law got one. Used it for about a week and the lady said they were better than the eden pures. Well, if they were, then I'm not even close to being a fan of such heaters. Put it in an appropriate sized room and I never noticed a change. The technology they say thats in it to make it so supreme just makes me giggle... Yep, your telling me helical metal around a resistance element is the future. :lmao: No offense to you, just ranting...

Wow, seems like the trailer is small enough for the heater to work well or the heater works well enough for the trailer!

Even when I use electric heat I still like to rune the propane a little. The stowage area under the bed and bath area has water pipes and there is a small heat duct there to help protect it. One heater will not heat my 5th wheel just ot dang big, but I have hopes for the new on I bought and will see how it works the next time I get it out, hopefully soon. The job I am on now has me to close to home and I lost all my travel expense money.

Yea, my furnace in the trailer is a bit funky. It has 6 vents and the bathroom is heated the best because the duct is the shortest to the furnace. The cargo area gets heated well as well. Thats got the area with alot of the water lines, etc. I keep the toyhauler door closed all the time cause its a terrible area. Almost no insulation in that area of the trailer. I've been adding fiberglass batt under the trailer but have not gotten to the toyhauler section yet. So I'm interested in seeing how much of a difference it makes. I've spent quite a bit of money so far in prepping the trailer for winter, but I still have other things to address as well. I suppose I ought to start a thread about it instead of derailing this one!