• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

CAD Axle violent release.

• Owner

I know this isn't exactly diesel related but on my 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 the CAD axle tends to hang up once engaged. Then when you you try to disengage the 4WD the lever goes to 2WD just fine and the transfer case releases. But the CAD unit holds the axle for extended period like maybe another mile or so. POP! Violently releases you can feel it in the entire truck. I'm not liking the CAD units at all I rather have a solid axle personally way less to go wrong. :rolleyes:

The CAD box tends to hold any condensation and things can get a bit gummy and or rusty inside. Only 4 bolts to pull the cover off and inspect. I have seen other issues inside too but since it does still engage and disengage I would look it over for a reason to be hung up. The splined couplers can get an edge on the if slow to engage from grinding and this will cause it to uncouple hard as well.If you have a hand vacuum pump it is easy to test the diaphragm once it is apart too.

• Owner

Any updates??:popcorn:

Well if I can get time between all the fire dept meetings and fire dept activities right now. I would look. But now I'm house sitting and running back and forth keeping there fire burning at a fires house so the place doesn't freeze up. Tomorrow I got to hold a class on how to "Install VP44 injection pumps" for a local shop because no but myself will do them. So maybe by next week or today if I'm not swamped. @AH64ID This is only a cheap 1500 Ram its not worth the price of delete kit nor a bunch of conversion. I don't think I can get much more than $2k for the truck way it stands. Now if I got the interior cleaned up and a paint job. Maybe...

• Staff

@AH64ID This is only a cheap 1500 Ram its not worth the price of delete kit nor a bunch of conversion. I don't think I can get much more than $2k for the truck way it stands. Now if I got the interior cleaned up and a paint job. Maybe...

But what happens when it fails to engage?

• Owner

That's where I differ from most I don't use 4WD very much. Even out here in the snow and frozen roads I typically leave it in 2WD. As for the CAD unit on the 96 it always engages but hangs up on release. Because the simple fact is 4WD will give you traction to climb a slick grade but 4WD will not keep you from sliding off a highway. So my 4WD is a "Ace up my sleeve" so when I need it I've got it but normally don't need it. So many vehicle around me that are strictly 2WD pickup, cars, utility trucks and fire trucks etc. They don't require 4WD for winter travel just a Smart Driver.Like suggested above the vacuum might be the cause of the hang up and not pulling the collar back to release?

If I recall it takes vacuum to engage the collar. It sounds more like the collar or actuator needs cleaned up to me. I am the same as you Mike. 2WD until you need 4WD and as soon as you can go back to 2WD.

• Staff

I generally run in 2wd as well, just depends on the conditions. But it's always nice to have! Another thread, but I really want a transfer case with a full time option. Does it use vacuum to engage or disengage, or both?Posi lok is a cheap and nearly bulletproof fix/upgrade, to me it seems like a no brainier to get it fixed and working properly. It's obviously having issues, so it's hard to say it will always engage and you wouldn't want to get stuck because of it.

John, it looks like it uses vacuum for both engage and disengage.

Mike, do like Bill said and check the hoses over good. It may be leaking some vacuum on the disengage side.

Posted Image