• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

AirDog help in subzero temps

up here in ND now and we just got super cold weather and now I got number 1 in its been -15 for the past 3 days now and I have a problems of jelling up. I know the tank isn't Jelling up anymore it just when I go driving around I start to jell up and I think it comes from where the airdog is mounted and not getting any heat. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem with Filters to cold.

yes I am using anti-gel im using howes right now and number 1 fuel. I like that set up mopar1973man. I found this online and was going to try it. here is the website http://utahbiodieselsupply.com/fuelfilterheater.php I think this will clear my problem right up but wanted to ask you guys if this would be the thing to do. or make a box to go around the filter to keep a lot of the wind off the filters

Mike, i have learned from my veggie therm fuel heater experiment that my fuel temper never rose, so i would think that those heaters wouldn't cause to much trouble when your looking at the fuel flow rate, besides if they put it on the first filter you got to remember that 70% goes back to the tank for heat.

yeah im going to buy one here tomorrow. Ilikeoldfords I live over here in the Bismarck/Mandan area. lucky I still have my Pontiac to drive around in since the truck is still down. getting it in a heated shop tomorrow night then changing fuel and water separator in the morning. diesel place around town said to try that and if that don't work they think it could be something else not working right.

• Like 1

Oh ok. We have been seeing a high of -5 in the daytime here in grand forks. The station I usually fill up at I never have any problems with as their fuel is blended for -30*. My last tank I filled down in Fargo and I'm having a little trouble with it. Trying to get it out of the truck and fill up here again.

• Staff

I have only ever gelled once, thanks to B20. I run Amsoil Diesel Concentrate with Cold Flow Improver in the winter, IF I suspect the fuel isn't winterized. I did add a 2nd heater, the Fleetguard and OEM heater are both 300w elements. If the fuel is gelling in the filter, it's probably gelling in the tank but the tank isn't effected because it doesn't have a filter fine enough to catch the gelled particles. If the fuel is properly winterized a heater shouldn't be needed, but I still like having them.

• Staff

Does mixing 2 cycle oil in the fuel help stop gelling? Thought I read that somewhere. :shrug:

Michael has never had gelling issues with his, but I don't think that is from the 2 stroke. The 2 stroke doesn't have anything in it that would effect he parafins. His fuel is properly winterized from the pump since I don't believe he uses anything else in it.
  • Like 1