• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

19.5's on the way!!

AH64ID

• Staff

After several years of wanting to go this route I finally pulled the trigger.On a normal camping trip I am between 5800-6500 on the rear axle, generally at 6000 with careful loading. Since I have 6390 lbs worth of tire I have been wanting more "buffer" room, short of a few tires there are really few options for more than 3195 lbs/tire in 17".Additionally LT tires are too soft, and tire life was dismal at best with how/where I use my truck, mainly where... lots of dirt and towing on dirt. I really don't get more than 25K useful miles out of a set of tires.This is why I started researching 19.5s a few years back. They are plenty strong, the wheels are strong and the rubber is hard enough they should last at least 60K miles.I ordered my wheels yesterday. I went with the Vision Type 81 cast aluminum, 19.5x7.5" rated at 4,500 lbs. I went with the black ones, and ordered 5. They should be here next week.For tires I will be going with Toyo M608Z in 245/70R19.5 LRG tires rated for 4,540 @ 80 psi. They are a 33" tire and roll at 624 rev/mile, 1 rev/mile different than my winter tires and should improve 5th gear towing while and empty cruise in 6th.I also have a set of Centramatic wheel balances on the way, as well as a set for the travel trailer.More to follow when they get mounted around the new year.

• Like 1

A friend put them on his 99 3500 and loves them.  I think they vastly improve the look of the truck and fill out the wheel wells much better too.  He went with the tire balance bead packs.  I have the Cetramic balancers on my truck and they made a noticeable difference and can keep my 315-75/R-16 BFG's smooth up to about 85 mph.  If you keep the tires well balanced, I wouldn't be surprised if you could get close to or at 100K out of them. 

• Staff

Wow! I was trying to find a site that would give me such data on wheels so I could figure out weight capacities, etc... 4500, thats alot for a wheel!

Yes it is quite a bit.

There are 19.5" tires that can hold more than 4500 lbs, but the capacity isn't needed on these trucks.

With 9,000lbs on the rear axle I am only 350lbs under the RAWR of a DRW truck, and the heaviest I have ever been is 7480 lbs.

I have the Cetramic balancers on my truck and they made a noticeable difference and can keep my 315-75/R-16 BFG's smooth up to about 85 mph.

That's acceptable, the tires have a speed rating of  75 and I rarely even drive that fast except for a quick passing run.

You might want to get to work right away on test fitting the Centermatic wheel balancers.  Depending upon the brake and wheel hardware used on the production line, truck will vary in which spacers are required to fit the wheel balancers to the hubs.  The rear wheels are pretty easy and straight forward but the front hubs I had to use 2 spaces on my 2002 and 1 spacer on my wife's 2001.5. 

Also, you may need to remove some casting seams that were not ground down perfectly from the factory.  In most cases, the wheel spacers can help avoid this or at least minimize it. 

What you DO NOT want to do is just hand the wheel balancers over to the guys in the shop who will be mounting your new wheels and tires.  They may just put them on and run the lug nuts down tight WITHOUT checking for wheel and balancer clearance space.  The amount a clearance needed is VERY small but if the wheels are just torqued down against the balancers real tight, the lack of clearance and force of the wheel being torqued will deform the wheel balancer and either damage it or cause it to eventually crack. 

I think the installation instructions warn about this but I had NO IDEA of the amount of work it would be in my case.  Once I got them properly installed I like them and noticed and very apparent improvement in ride and vibration. 

• Like 1

The Centramics are here and UPS is scheduled to drop off the wheels tomorrow!!!

It will probably be around the first of the year that I go get the new tires installed.

You type like a little kid that can't wait for Christmas!!!!! :drool:   Did the balancers get delivered all wrapped up and with a bow!!!! :lmao2:  :lmao:

To:  AH64ID

• Like 3

The centramics are installed with my KM2's and work great, I've only been up to 70 but very smooth.Pics to follow, same wight the rebuild.. Just need to find time to take some more and go thru the rest.

These centramics work as a "dynamic" balancer vs. a "static" one like the lead weights then??? :shrug:  :think:

• Staff

What happens when you slow down????  Are you gonna get some weird wheel hop and such??!!

On my 33" KM2's they stay butter smooth all the way down. You cannot tell they are there, other than the smooth running tires. They are enough better balanced that they are actually quieter at 70.

One of the other dynamic balance companies, balance masters, states that they even help with braking as the deceleration force pushes the weight to the bottom (gyroscopic procession I am guessing).