• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

19.5's on the way!!

AH64ID

• Staff

The spare is in place, I tried putting it up with the outside wheel face hidden but the offest wont allow it.

It's a tight fit with the Titan Class V Receiver, Hellwig Sway-Bar, and MH diff cover but it's all buttoned up.

I do pull it aft about 2" with a strap to allow the suspension to cycle with the MH cover.

When are you getting your installed?

I got the rims sitting in the garage and I ordered the tires and they are in also.

However, I haven't gotten them mounted yet becuse I am going to have my wheels spray coated with some good clear coat before I mount the tires.  The wheels have clear coat on them now but it looks pretty non-existant in some places, so I am going to have them all sprayed with some good quality stuff before I install. 

I was thinking about spraying them myself but with the cold weather it make be a month or so before I actually get them mounted.

As a side note (not to hijack this thread) I got my Spyntec hub kit in last week so I am thinking I will probably try and install those before I put the new tires and wheels on too.

• Staff

I did about 20 miles of towing the other day, and took loop that involved a short 6% grade, 70 mph, bumpy roads, and a little winding. Even without the W/D hooked up its amazing how stable the truck was.

It's very easy to see why people say they never want to go back to light truck tires, I know I don't.

• Like 1

Ya,  I am looking forward to the added stability you should get with the stiffer sidewalls.  I like the add in stability that I got with the Bigwig but I thinking this is going to be another big step up in stability.

Any perceived difference you can feel in rolling resistance due to the stiffer sidewal?

How is the road noise on the toyos compared to your LRE tires?

• Staff

The truck does seem to roll easier, but it's hard to quantify and since the engine and tuning are new in winter weather the mileage isn't going to tell much.

These tires have little to no road noise, I think they are quieter than the LTX's but I haven't ran them since October. I was enjoying how quiet the entire truck is at 65 on the way home today.

I have the standard hellwig anti swaybar and these didn't increase the stiffness like that did but it's a close second. It's just a different feeling too, I am guessing that they really compliment each other and can't wait to do some windy towing (like up to Idaho City area).

• 3 months later...

ya know,  I'm at a crossroads  here  on my  project truck.  I've  thought  I'd just   dual up the  rear,  and  keep on truckin..

Now,  I see  it's  not  quite as easy  as just  bolting on the  rims..   apparently the   3/4  ton  rear brake drum is   a little  larger on the  OD  than the  'made for duals'   1 ton.    So,  a very expensive  spacer is  required.   The  rim will hit the  drum before it's  all the way on..

Not to mention  I'd have to  carry  2 spares, unless I  convert the  front axle too..     I'm aware the  1 ton axle is  already  4 inches  wider than the  3/4 ton,  but  apparently the  backing plate/drum configuration is  different!   Then,  spring to tire clearance  is  minimal too.

Another thing,   our  2000  ram  is  worthless as  **** on a boar when its  unloaded,  and  when in  sand.  Thank goodness it's  4X4...  

After reading  about   your  conversion,   I'm wondering  if  going  this route  would be  smarter for me?     

Main reason for the duals?   stability  when loaded.   OK OK<    duals  look  'cool'...  :ashamed:   especially  under a  flatbed...   

Main reason for   no duals?    well,    fuel economy,    and  ability to  'cut trail'  in   muddy/sloppy/snowy  conditions! 

As  far as  ride quality.... I'm  seriously  considering  air seat suspension  and  the best seat money can buy.  My  back  can't take it anymore!

(whole 'nother subject/thread there!)

Thanks  for  your  thread!  :thumb1:

Methinks  I've  probably answered my own questions!

Ok,  20 minutes  later,  and  I see  those  same  rims  on Ebay  for  795  for a set of  4,   and  additional  160  for trucking.

Not as  bad  as  I was expecting!

Tires  too  were  only a  'tic'  higher than  what  I've been  buying for  the  '00.   (235  80  16's )

$119  for   the  245  70  19.5,   F  rating

$133  for   the   G  rating

$149  for the    H  rating.

(treadwrights)

Edited by rancherman

• Staff

I do like the look of duals, but for me that's as close as I will get. They are not very practical for how use the truck.

I really don't think the single 19.5 leaves much on the table for stability, but it have nothing to compare to. I just know that I don't have perceived tire flex anymore, what little flex I have feels like suspension and even that is minimal.

Ok,  20 minutes  later,  and  I see  those  same  rims  on Ebay  for  795  for a set of  4,   and  additional  160  for trucking.

Not as  bad  as  I was expecting!

Tires  too  were  only a  'tic'  higher than  what  I've been  buying for  the  '00.   (235  80  16's )

$119  for   the  245  70  19.5,   F  rating

$133  for   the   G  rating

$149  for the    H  rating.

(treadwrights)

If there is an American Tire or Discount Tire in your neck of the woods you should be able to get the Vision 81 style rims for $180-185 each and no shipping.

• Like 1

these  Vision  81A  are  a steel rim  riveted to an aluminum  center disk?

More  searching  found  me   several  sets  for  what you said...  180  each  'delivered'.     

Their open  cap  clears  the   spyntec hubs ok?