• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

something wrong with my truck?

I too suffer from an unexplainable mpg loss... I dunno what its from, I'd sure like to have a scangauge to check it dynamically. I wonder if it could be a vp44 issue? Thats about the only other thing I have not touched besides the APPS. Then again, I do not think the APPS would cause such an issue.

...not saying yours is an IP problem.

• Owner

No loss here. My truck been parked for 2 months now head into 3 months. :lol:

As for the cold air denser rule after doing the calculations at 10*F vs. 100*F weather there is a increase of about 6 MPH at 70 MPH so if your travelling 70 MPH it more like 76 MPH with wind drag. At 55 MPH is more like 59 MPH (+4 MPH). So you might have to cut back a extra 5-10 MPH on speed to get back to normal wind drags.

Winterized fuels are typically higher in cetane and lower in BTU content.

Since both of you tow trailers the length of vehicle also plays into the figures. Like even my low slung BigTex 70TV still pulls me down from 21-22 to 16-17 MPG empty or load doesn't matter.

I agree. towing trailers might play a role. but there is something wrong. i used to get 18 on a regular basis. with out even trying. now i get 14 and have to try very hard to get 16. so i'ma have to find out what it is soon or ima sell it.

Just saw this mornin i have a driver rear axle seal leaking. i'[ll get that fixed soon. maybe the oil was messing up the brake pads or something.

It's my wife's idea, I might agree, paid 10k for truck, put edge, gauges, tires, whole new steering system, 3100 trans rebuild. She's done, doesnt want to spend more money on it. Yes it runs and drives great, but at 14-16 mpg's without towing, not the 18-21 I was getting. When it was running good it could get 14 towing my 5th wheel. It doesn't run bad now, just bad mpg's. I did notice slot of metal shavings in the oil when j did my axle oil seal today, looked like gold fleks in the oil. Might take truck back to stock, no edge, no smarty, no 285/75/16's. If that doesn't help then it's gone.

Level 5 Made my cruze control surge. I live at 7000 ft maybe that is messin with these programers. Wife says trade it in on new one.

I've heard of some programmers causing issues either surging during cruise control - don't remember which ones off the top of my head but I don't remember the smarty being one of them. My guess is that the cruise control being activate through vacuum still plays into the electrical signal due to the position reading from the APPS, which would seem to make sense to me. With the APPS reading at a certain voltage the programmer/box/chip is trying to adjust the fueling timing curve based off those signals. Since that is being controlled by the cruise, it would seem to me that there may be a delayed response by the programmer in adjusting the fueling timing curve when receiving input through the APPS from the cruise control system. Or it could be a delayed response on the vacuum side in trying to keep up with the control signals from the box. This is purely speculation on my part, but it seems to make sense to me.

It's my wife's idea, I might agree, paid 10k for truck, put edge, gauges, tires, whole new steering system, 3100 trans rebuild. She's done, doesnt want to spend more money on it. Yes it runs and drives great, but at 14-16 mpg's without towing, not the 18-21 I was getting. When it was running good it could get 14 towing my 5th wheel. It doesn't run bad now, just bad mpg's. I did notice slot of metal shavings in the oil when j did my axle oil seal today, looked like gold fleks in the oil. Might take truck back to stock, no edge, no smarty, no 285/75/16's. If that doesn't help then it's gone.

Those tires will be sucking a couple of mpg's. I figured mine took 2-3 when I ran that size. Edited by volkswagon

I run 285/75/16's on mine and when I first got the truck it did pretty good on mileage. I was getting about 18-20 before my injectors pooped on me. Ever since I replaced my injectors, the mileage dropped. Then after I got to pulling the trailer it really dipped on me. I'm not talking about during pulling, but even empty. I usually get 16 if I'm lucky now. After pulling the trailer, I was getting 12 MPG!

Its come back up since then little by little but has not gotten any better than 16 on avg. now... I have no idea why this is. I was almost considering something like diff. fluids being burned out on me or something. It just does not make any sense why it would act this way.

Killer, I think you need to do a little investigating into the problem rather than just get rid of it... What are you going to do? Sell it any buy another cummins? Then what problems will you have to deal with?

• Owner

Matter of fact. MoparMom sent me to town for a jug of milk I opted to pull the beast out of the shop and drive the diesel once again. Oh Man is that a rush to hop in and have 5x3 for power vs. the little 96 Dodge.

As doe the MPG battle for the OP. Might double check other factors like dragging brakes or low tire pressures too. That will pull MPG's down too.