• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

something wrong with my truck?

Well, I don't mean to keep detracting from the original intent of this thread, but in response to you Dripley, yes those conditions are without the trailer.

As well, if the tire size is indeed my culprit, I still could not do anything about it. As I do not know what a smaller tire size would allow me to have for load capacity. I need all the weight handling capacity I can get due to the pin weight of the trailer. I do the best I can to counterbalance it, but I still have to have a minimum of 15% pin weight for stability.

Also, when I first bought this truck, the same tire size I have now is what I believe I was running when I first got the truck. So the MPG's have changed over the time of owning the truck when the tires have not.

• Owner

As well, if the tire size is indeed my culprit, I still could not do anything about it. As I do not know what a smaller tire size would allow me to have for load capacity.

Smaller tires. 235/85 R16 Load Range G's (3,750#) @ 110 PSI

Compared 265/75 R16's Load Range E's (3,415#) @ 80 PSI

Or... Standard 235/85 R16 Load Range E's (3,042#) @ 80 PSI

Food for thought.

• Owner

I would have to get that G range tire...

Smaller tires. 235/85 R16 Load Range G's (3,750#) @ 110 PSI

Compared 265/75 R16's Load Range E's (3,415#) @ 80 PSI

Or... Standard 235/85 R16 Load Range E's (3,042#) @ 80 PSI

Food for thought.

3,750 x 2 = 7,500# - 6084# = 1,416# Over

3,415 x 2 = 6,830# - 6084# = 746# Over

More food for thought.

I know my pin weight has put me over RAWR. By a couple hundred pounds... As well, I'm also trying to think about the dynamic loading. Cornering adds more weight to a tire and unloads the other. Going over bumps or dips can also add extra loading to the tires momentarily that increase the load.

I seen the last time I rotated my tires, my rims were rated at 3400lbs a piece. So, I'm up there, but gotta be careful...

I know my pin weight has put me over RAWR. By a couple hundred pounds... As well, I'm also trying to think about the dynamic loading. Cornering adds more weight to a tire and unloads the other. Going over bumps or dips can also add extra loading to the tires momentarily that increase the load.

I seen the last time I rotated my tires, my rims were rated at 3400lbs a piece. So, I'm up there, but gotta be careful...

What is your rear axle rated for?