• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

VP or something else??

I recently bought an upgraded vp44 from Blue chip diesel ($1600) because my original died. After installing the first pump the truck started right up and ran great for about 10 minutes, then I got a code saying injection pump timing failure. I talked to Chip and he sent me another right away. This second pump has been great for about a week. Now for some reason around 1,000 to 1,200 rpm when I mash the go petal it loses power, makes a horrible lugging sound then picks up and runs fine. I am also having trouble starting. Warm or cold it doesn't like to start on the first crank and sometimes it won't start on the the second. This doesn't happen every time I go to start it though.... about every 2-4 starts. I have 19psi to the pump, a new fuel filter, a new air filter, and no fuel leaks. I'm starting to think I got another bad VP. Does anyone have any suggestions or something I can try? Maybe something else went bad? Chip has been unavailable for the last 4 days. Any help would be appreciated!

• Owner

No reason for that high of pressure though. You only aiming to get the overflow open fully at 14 PSI under WOT. Going above 20 PSI is just risking the front VP44 seal...

I had one guy that was going around with a mechanical fuel pump from a 12V and running 35-40 PSI on a VP44 trying to prove a point. Yes you could go that high but your not going to gain anything. Might be unlucky and blow the front seal out of the VP44 though.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: Blue Chip would not upgrade me to a pump with the new electronics, and I have given up faith on their pumps. I do appreciate that Doug is refunding my money once he sends me a core and I return the pump that has messed up timing. 

I have since purchased a pump from Industrial Injection and all of the problems have subsided! I even went about 125 miles today on the highway and some traffic and got 21mpg!

New Problem: The truck is randomly taking longer to fire than normal. It is usually when the truck is between 140-150 degrees.(-3 deg this morning and fired right away with short crank time & no block heater plugged in) I talked to a trusted mechanic today and he suggested checking the return line on the back of the head to see if there is air entering the system from there. Has anyone done this? I have no idea how or what I am looking for.  :shrug:

Update: Blue Chip would not upgrade me to a pump with the new electronics, and I have given up faith on their pumps. I do appreciate that Doug is refunding my money once he sends me a core and I return the pump that has messed up timing. 

I have since purchased a pump from Industrial Injection and all of the problems have subsided! I even went about 125 miles today on the highway and some traffic and got 21mpg!

New Problem: The truck is randomly taking longer to fire than normal. It is usually when the truck is between 140-150 degrees.(-3 deg this morning and fired right away with short crank time & no block heater plugged in) I talked to a trusted mechanic today and he suggested checking the return line on the back of the head to see if there is air entering the system from there. Has anyone done this? I have no idea how or what I am looking for.  :shrug:

Follow the return line off the VP to where it ties into a tee. That tee can leak and cause hard starting. There is also a line off the back of the head that ties into that tee and the sealing washers can go bad also causing the same issue, though the longer it sits the worse it gets, starting time that is and you say after sitting all night it starts ri :shrug: ght up.

Edited by dripley