• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

OIl consumption issue

Joe Morin

After rereading your posts I do not think you understand oil terminology.  Forget about the 1st number, the actual weight of the oil is the second number.

10w30 / 0w30 / 5w30 is 30 wt oil

5w40 / 10w40 / 15w40 is 40 wt oil

5w20 / 10w20  is 20 wt oil

so on an so forth.

get the point now?

Unless you run fully loaded in 70*+f temps all day every day a 30 weight oil is 100% acceptable unless you run syn then you would have no worries at all.

The wives tales / miss information and such about synthetic oils are mind boggling to say the least. Synthetic oil gives superior unmatched performance in extreme heat and use conditions more than it does with cold starts.

Edited by Wild and Free
  • Like 1

I would just start by putting some 15w40 back in and see where you sit, if you havent already. I have seen some weird stuff happen when switching oils, even if its the same viscosity. My dad did some experimenting in the old Kenworth. He is running a CAT 400 hp and it will go through a quart every 1000 miles if he used rotella but not burn a drop with delo 400. Both were a 15w40. Go figure.

Edited by Ilikeoldfords

• Owner

I personally don't get wrapped up with all the hype of synthetic oils. I look at what standard the engine needs to meet and for lubrication and give it that. So if the API Standard calls for CI-4 or CJ-4 engine oils that what it needs. As for weight of oil this gets rather messy but the first number xxW with the W stands for winter or (cold start) this is viscosity the oil will behave like at cold temps. The second number is the viscosity of the oil when at normal operation temperature. 

More here. (Attached file)

engineoilguide_march2010.pdf

• Staff

I like synthetic for a couple of reasons, it clings better so dry starts aren't as hard and has better high temperature stability which is good for modified engines. Even my new Dino 15w-40 Premium Blue builds oil pressure slower than used Amsoil 15w-40, the quicker the pressure the better.

I also prefer to run a CI oil, and I don't believe there are any dino CI oils left. Dino CJ-4 oil is barely adequate on ZDDP for flat tappet cams, and some of the cheaper CJ's just don't cut it.

The OEM fill is now synthetic as well.

Something I thought was interesting is that the bottle of Valvoline Premium Blue says it's approved for 5,000 miles on Cummins yet the Cummins change interval is longer??? Premium Blue is a formulation developed with Cummins.

I will be running Premium Blue for the first 9K miles on the motor, with a ZDDP additive, and then switch back to Amsoil AME CI-4+ oil.

Pretty hard to find a new vehicle that has Dino oil in it anymore, most major mfgs run synthetic or syn blend and most recommend or require it anymore.

My BIL had a newer GMC Acadia that had been on an amsoil diet since its first oil change and the dealer started offering dirt cheap service programs so he just had them do the service, he switched back to Dino and it started swalloing about a quart every 500 miles, dealer documented for a couple service intervals but would do nothing as it was within specs yet, he said enough is enough and switched it back to amsoil and oil use quit again but he was leary after that and traded it in.

Edited by Wild and Free

I like synthetic for a couple of reasons, it clings better so dry starts aren't as hard and has better high temperature stability which is good for modified engines. Even my new Dino 15w-40 Premium Blue builds oil pressure slower than used Amsoil 15w-40, the quicker the pressure the better.

I also prefer to run a CI oil, and I don't believe there are any dino CI oils left. Dino CJ-4 oil is barely adequate on ZDDP for flat tappet cams, and some of the cheaper CJ's just don't cut it.

Something I thought was interesting is that the bottle of Valvoline Premium Blue says it's approved for 5,000 miles on Cummins yet the Cummins change interval is longer??? Premium Blue is a formulation developed with Cummins.

I will be running Premium Blue for the first 9K miles on the motor, with a ZDDP additive, and then switch back to Amsoil AME CI-4+ oil.

I understand what you're saying here, but aren't they basing this off of filtering with the OEM FF only???  Both you, I, Mike, and others here run some type of bypass oil filter in addition to the OEM filter.  IMHO, you can at least (easily) double the change interval!!!

When I had my '99, I had a buddy that got me 7-8 gallons of synthetic engine oil for free.  He owed me a favor or three, and this covered it. He worked at a school bus maintenance garage, and somehow wound up with the stuff.  It was new also, not used.  I don't remember the brand now;  but the only benefit I can recall from the synthetic, was much easier cold starts in "cold weather.  I do think the engine was louder after warm up…………..even with the straight pipe.

Just saying.

• Staff

I am not sure on the filtration, Cummins wants at least 30um full flow and 10um bypass.

With modern oils it is very hard to keep all the soot out of the oil, even with a bypass. Soot is generally what kills oil pre 2007, and fuel post 2007.

CJ oils also run a lower TBN number, because they plan on the oil being fuel diluted prior to out of TBN so why make it high TBN when it's not needed.

• 2 weeks later...

I am wondering the same thing....I have used Series 3000 5W-30 since 35K miles with a BMK21 110 bypass filter for 03 Cummins no Cat. Now at 185K. I see it is a CI-4+ oil but thinking I need to go back up to a 5W-40 which they only offer in CJ. The reason is that I was towing about 16K + for 2 days in a row, 100 miles over the summer hauling hay and noticed it burned up about 2 qts or so. Was told by Amsoil support that I need to use 40w due to load and it was normal to burn that much. Never had that before over the years. Little concern over the CJ verses the CI. Any suggestions? Did I put my engine through un needed wear and tear?

Edited by CumminStrong

• Staff

Amsoil AME is a 15w-40 CI-4 oil, and I think the best CI oil you can buy.

I ran the Series 3000 and was not impressed with the UOA compared to AME, and AME is cheaper.

The HDD Series 3000 is thinner, so when you are working it hard its not surprising you would burn more. The HDD does meet the Cummins requirements for running a 30wt oil, but it doesn't exceed them like the AME does.

You are referring to the 15W-40 Heavy-Duty Diesel and Marine Motor Oil, right?  I get down to about -20 ambient and a -42 wind-chill factor at times in Colorado. You think it will be ok with the thicker winter 15? I know it says -44 pour rate so on paper it sounds ok? In theory unless I get below -44 it will perform just as good as a winter 5. Let me know if I got it wrong.

Good to know that it is Cummins approved for a 30w. With the TBN at 12 just like the 5w-30, it would ensure it lasts just as long. I think the longest I had it in had a TBN down to 5.8 at about 36K miles.

I just changed everything this summer so I guess I am at least good until this coming up summer.  

• Staff

Wind chill does not effect sitting oil, it cannot make the oil any colder than ambient.

The pour point of Rotella T6 5w-40 is also -44°F, so I would think that it would be good. If you are using a block heater it certainly won't be an issue. 

It's too bad they don't test the CCS at the same temp, but at -4°F the AME is a lot thinner than the T6 at -22°F. I know, not a great comparison but it's all they give us to work on.

I don't see too much below 0, but have been in the -20's and don't worry about a thinner oil.

Thanks Just wanted to make sure we were talking about the same thing. I will be changing up to the Amsoil 15W-40 Heavy-Duty Diesel and Marine Motor Oil (AKA = AME).

Thinking of using the ELF filter for my high flow vs the Amsoil AE ones that cost more since I believe it is the same filter.

a thought on oils and drain intervals.

our trucks say 7500 mile drain intervals. but these were based on CI-4 oils not CJ-4 oils. so might we be hurting things with the longer run times then should be obtained from the good CI- oils.

here in Flagstaff i'm unable to find CI-4 oils. they are all CJ-4 oils. hence why i drain at or around 5K mark. every study i can find and read pertain to the shortened drains of the CJ- oils from the CI- ones.