• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Oil Consumption...

Often times engines will use oil after changing brands, usually it difference in the additves in the oils .

I'm wondering...... your still on the same oil ? ie. the oil change you first posted ?

I switched from Delo 400 15w40 about 15k ago to the mobil one full synthetic 5w40 Turbo Diesel oil. It wasn't using to much oil when I first changed it but started using oil about 7-8k miles ago. I was going to change it about every 15k anyway so should I go back to the dino oil and see what happens? This mob 1 is getting expensive using a quart every 500 miles...

• Like 1

• Owner

Thing is I don't see (personally) any reason for synthetic oils in these trucks. When there is members like CajFlynn putting over million miles on a truck on dino oil. Then flip the page and watch Dorkweed run 84k miles on a single oil change with WalMart oil. (Blackstone tested every 7k miles). So with these two members you can learn a lot... :wink:

• Like 1

The only reason I really switched to the synthetic was because the dino oil wouldn't flow in -60 degree weather up in North Dakota. It would literally take more than 5 minutes to build 40 psi on my mechanical gauge. I think I will be switching back to dino oil now that I live in Missoula and wont have to deal with much under 0 for the most part.

• Like 1

I've been using 15-40 ams oil with single bypass filter for two years now, takes exactly 12 qts to top of fill mark. I put about 4-5 k on it a year and it always stays at the top. Also noticed that it stays cleaner a lot longer, it may be because of 2 micron bypass. Did my oil test at CAT and the only thing was way high is soot, 60 or so. but it said keep using it and sample at regular intervals, whatever they are. I just did it for the hell of it. Changed it anyway it was 14 months old. But I wonder why you have to change oil every so many miles or every year which ever comes first, what if I don't put many miles on it in a year what goes bad? Oil in a bottles don't go bad on a shelf and if an oil test comes back good then why change it every year?

Oil will pick up condensation, especially short trips stop and start. Synthetic is for those that run at least 15,000 per year. Leaking? I had a differential repair shop back In the day of leather axle seals. Amsoil would disappear in a flash. I fully advised against it back then. A great semi-synthetic that will run 4 times delo 400 is Schaffer. Reasonable price for a synthetic. Lots of fleets use it.
  • Like 1