• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

2014 Deep Freeze

dorkweed

-14*F as I type this and we are headed to about -27*F tonight. I guess I will find out how well my '12 TDI will start at that temp. with no heater on it. I also read in today's paper that this is now the second COLDEST winter on record here and the next 10 days have zero days with the low above zero...... DAMN, I am tired of the cold......

Here you go, I have had one of these on my wifes since we bought it in 05.

http://www.frostheater.com/

I just put one on my son's car. The only problem I had was the nipple on the aluminum oil cooler broke off. Luckily my future SIL was stopping by so he took the cooler home and welded it up for me. Hard to believe it has a 1000 watt heater in it!

Yeah it is awesome, It gets the engine to operating temps of about 180-190 in under an hour, you can start the car at 20 below and have warm air out the heater instantly.

I did have to remove the heater and fix the wiring where the cord hooks up inside and then had to replace the plug end on the cord, they used a crappy cord years ago, not sure if they sourced a better cord yet or not, is worth watching after a couple of years if you have issues. I thought the heater was shot but it was just crappy connections inside the unit, it has been flawless since, keep an eye on the hose clamps they tend to start weeping every so often as the hose relaxes under the clamps, after a few years of retightening them it finally stopped after about 4-5 years.

Edited by Wild and Free

My wood pile is  dwindling..   have to figure out how to keep the frost off my  puter screen  soon!

The neighbor lady across my street has asked numerous times;  "Don't you have enough wood yet?", since I've started heating with wood.  She's a very attractive lady, about 5-10 years older than myself;  so me being the smart dupa that I am, always reply……………"That's kind of a personal question, don't you think?" :evilgrin:  :cool:

The prior 2 winters around here, weren't really "winter" at all.  Still I was scrounging wood, splitting and stacking it because it's a good thing to get ahead on your wood supply.  Especially if you're burning "hard woods".  Oak, mulberry, osage, elm, and a few other require 2-3 years of drying/seasoning. Whilst other woods such as soft maple, ash, box elder, poplar, aspen, birch will "season" in less than 6 months if split and stacked in an airy, sunny spot. 

I've got a pile of split maple and box elder in my front yard that I've not been able to stack yet because of the snow we've gotten this year so far.  So I keep cutting, hauling, splitting and piling everything in my front yard.  Got a stack about 4-5 feet high and 10-12 feet in diameter now sitting in my front yard. One of my best buds has me on a spot where there are numerous trees down, and I can cut and haul from there as I please.

I've burned just under 2 full cords of wood so far this year.  I dunno about y'all, but I find cutting, splitting and stacking wood relaxing.  Yes, it's work, but it's work that I don't mind doing.

Rancherman……………..you need to be cutting, bucking, splitting more.  Nebraska gets and stays cold………….and there's nothing to stop the wind.  But you know that…………..take care.