• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Newbie With Puking Brake Fluid

If the front wheels were on the ground with the t-case in neutral or 2wd if you could turn the drive shaft then you would have a CAD.

If it had no CAD you would need to jack on wheel or the other off the ground to turn the driveshaft in neutral or 2wd position.

Edited by Wild and Free

OK, no CAD on my truck (4/02 Build date). So the front drive-shaft spins all the time, 2wd or 4wd, hence the blown u-joint.  Strange they made no provision for disconnecting the axles after the CAD.  That would have been a 1-2 highway mpg improvement I'm sure, though I'm not sure I would have wanted the CAD anyway. 

AP

OK, no CAD on my truck (4/02 Build date). So the front drive-shaft spins all the time, 2wd or 4wd, hence the blown u-joint.  Strange they made no provision for disconnecting the axles after the CAD.  That would have been a 1-2 highway mpg improvement I'm sure, though I'm not sure I would have wanted the CAD anyway. 

AP

Plus the wear and tear it causes.

Plus the wear and tear it causes.

Like??????

joints that never get used are just as prone to going bad from dried out seals causing rust, and vibration too as joints in constant use.

Then take into account the maintenance of the entire vacuum system and the CAD itself and the non CAD is still an advantage.

I see 2wd guys with no better mileage than 4X4 with CAD rigs.

I guess I've just been lucky, as I've never had the issues people speak of with the CAD systems. The only thing I've ever had to do is replace the vacuum lines between the t case and the actuator. Even my former 00 which now has over 400k miles on it (now owned by a friend) has never had any problems with the system.

It would be neat to see the differences (or similarities) of the new CAD systems in the 13 trucks.

Edited by diesel4life

I can say from experience with a shovel many many times that the split second of pulling a lever and have instant 4X versus the several seconds of the CAD system to engage will determine if you are stuck or not.

The electronic CAD on my 2010 sucks big time, better have it in 4X long before you think you will need it, not only is the CAD electronic but the T-case actuator is as well, average time to engage is about 5+ seconds........if your lucky. :banghead:

Man is this thread derailed from a brake fluid leak, :hijack:

Edited by Wild and Free

I understand what you mean. Fortunately its never been a problem for me. If I'm in an area where I think I may need 4 wheel drive, I'll engage it. I don't wait until I can't go any further and then attempt to get out with 4 wheel drive. Usually by then its too late anyway. With an 7000 pound truck, momentum is key and trying to crawl out of a hole you just buried yourself in in 2 wheel drive is going to have limited success.

Edited by diesel4life