• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Programmers - Tuners?

User Defined Catcher, custom tuning.

On a 3rd Gen it allows the user, and/or tuner, to write a custom program for the truck based on use, mods, truck, etc.

I run UDC and while my peak power dropped about 15rwhp my mid range is stronger, the truck is more fuel efficient, smoother, and a better driving truck.

I run it on my truck, my dad's truck, and a friends truck. I have also written tunes for many other folks, custom tuning is the way to go.

As of today it's in the works for VP trucks and will be the only custom option once released (no date yet).

So which Smarty is the one I would need for my truck?

well i was going to get a power puck but i was told that they dont make them for the 01 anymore so i found a used edge ez and i couldn't be happier it really woke the truck up. don't think that you will want much more power than that. but with that being said if i had a aftermarket lift pump i would be getting a edge comp ( im bit buy the bug now  :lmao: )

• Owner

The S-03.

http://www.madselectronics.com/Smarty03.html

If you are looking for a vendor there are several in the vendor section, or you can PM me if you need to.

http://forum.mopar1973man.com/index.php?/forum/140-vendors-dealers/

More information and talk to the group that is in the know of it.

http://www.smartyresource.com

Since I bought a rebuilt injection pump from Industrial Injection, I have taken the edge comp out of my truck (Don't want to void warranty). With my smarty I have all of the pulling power i want. I hauled 14 thousand pounds of shredded paper on a 6 thousand pound trailer and had plenty of power with the smarty alone. The egts stay at or below 1200 deg too. The low end power gains are unmatched. I have also done some "custom" tunes by changing the torque management and timing management. With the adjustments I have gotten 21mpg in city/highway driving mix. As stated above it also enables the high idle, reads DTC codes and can change the tire height. It was well worth the money and I recommend it to anyone for pulling trailers! Try checking craigslist to see if there are any cheap ones for sale!  :thumb1:

• Owner

Will the Smarty do boost fooling.

Yes.

There is a limit to all flash programmers. They have to work within the fuel table of the ECM and its limits. Hence the 60-65 HP Limit because it doesn't expand the fuel table beyond 20 PSI of boost. It just uses the last known figure on the table.

Here is a example of what I mean.

post-1-0-74189500-1389535160_thumb.png

So the red area typically would be your defueling and error code range. The Smarty converts these values into working map. But if the truck operates above these value the ECM just uses the last known value of the table because it can't see beyond that. It also has to play by all the rules of the ECM and VP44 software.

This why boxes like Edge and Quadzilla are so popular. Because now when a Edge Product gets to the end of the ECM fueling table the module takes over and calculates its own fuel map above and beyond the ends of the ECM. Since the data would cause a error for sure on the normal CANBUS it fed into the VP44 by the wire tap. This way the module can module the timing and fuel pulse length by reshaping the pulse.

I'm running a Quadzilla XZT+ (unfortunate that they are out of business).  I normally run in the +30 mode which gives a bit more pep but is the same as a mileage max.  It's mostly timing with counters the smog settings.  I'm not towing real heavy but the extra +60 is much nicer on hills where I'd have to down shift before. 

One can never have "too much power" but needs to control the skinny pedal. 

The XZT just plugs into harnesses under the hood...  no wire taps. It's not a "programmer"...  it just takes the readings from the factory sensors & alters them to fool the computer...  can not exceed the max OEM fuel, just alters when you get it.   I don't know what I'd buy to replace the XZT.  There must be something that does the same job.

I had to remove my Banks tuner, but still have the Banks exhaust housing and waste gate. The waste gate opens around 35 PSI. So when I get on it and the boost reaches about 22 PSI the engine defuels and sets an overboost code. I can keep it fueling if I keep the boost to around 20 PSI  but that limits me to only about 70% throttle until I get the RPM up,

You should be good as long as you dont do a wire tap on the new pump. At least, thats what DAP said. If you wanted to put the edge back on..

That is correct, but the smarty does a better job without a wire tap so I will use that until my one year warranty is up! 

I maybe getting a Smarty S03, the newer style Smarty. I am hoping this will be a good tuner for what I will need. I think I will probably keep it on a SW5 setting. For some reason I feel like the other settings are just going to blow too much smoke down low? Anyone have experience with the S03?

I currently have the S03 on my truck. It can be very smoky on the bottom end if you mash the skinny pedal. Try playing with the settings including the torque management, and timing. You can custom "tune" your truck with these settings. Almost all of the settings are a bit smokey though. Just don't have a lead foot and you will be fine!  :thumb1:

Smarty will not fog an intersection like you see some of these clowns with big shower heads and small turbos running around blacking the sky out. I'm a little hazy at idle if I stab the throttle at idle but if I'm rolling down the road and lay into it at best I can only see a small puff initially until I start building boost then I can't see anything.

• Staff

I mean all the smoke is wasted fuel correct? Is there a way to tune it to not smoke so much? I mean if I need the power it's one thing but I do not want to dust the intersection either...

Absoloutly, that's one of the great things about smarty is that you can adjust the setting to your liking.

Smarty will not fog an intersection like you see some of these clowns with big shower heads and small turbos running around blacking the sky out. I'm a little hazy at idle if I stab the throttle at idle but if I'm rolling down the road and lay into it at best I can only see a small puff initially until I start building boost then I can't see anything.

That is fine if there is a haze. I am not going to care about that, but I do respect others driving (Well sometimes lol) and do not need to dust out people for no reason. I could care less about the retards and "ROALIN COAL" everywhere...they need to ****** grow up. Kids i swear..

Absoloutly, that's one of the great things about smarty is that you can adjust the setting to your liking.

I just purchased one last night for a good price! I can't wait to add it to my rig. Is the Smarty 100% tune-able or is it just certain preset functions that you can choose? From the website it looks like it has 10 total settings and that's it?