• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Help battery acid!!!

I was installing my BHAF today and discovered that one of my batteries had blown up or something (a big piece of the top had broke loose and I could look right inside) and there seemed to be acid splattered all over under the hood:bang::bang: Any suggestions what would be the best course of action to clean this up? I did go to the car wash and washed it off good with soap then rinsed real good.

Lots of fresh water quick! Then even more fresh water... But I would replace both batteries and double check the charging system and the cables for problems. Check for error codes because maybe the battery temp sensor is bad... Guessin'

Battery temp sensor?? This is a new one to me.

• Owner

Battery temp sensor?? This is a new one to me.

It located under the driver side battery. It senses the battery temp and regulates the voltage to prevent gassing of the battery which in turns dries them out. The old school regulators use to sense the under hood temp and under charge the batteries which caused them to fail early. Now with the new technology the battery life is extended greatly because it always gets a full charge (if driven long enough) and done in such a manner to keep the electrolyte from boiling out and drying out a cell.

Side Note...

My house is totally battery powered... The inverter has the same battery temp sensor mounted on a battery to control the charge rate and keep the batteries from getting gassy on normal charge. Give you a clue the 8 6 Volt batteries are 15 years old and still holding awesome charge and the light NEVER go out at my place! :thumbsup:

I popped the hood to look at this sensor but I got so many positive battery cables and wires and things that it's almost fragile to touch lol. I have 3 big cables going into one connector and a bunch of other wires. Actually let me just take a picture so you can laugh at it. They make these really big bolts and nuts where the bolt has a big slot down the middle and it's all copper and just smashes all the wires together. Can't remember what it's called and heaven forbid I take all that tape off :lmao2:

Ah, one of these, split bolt connector. Posted Image

post-45-138698162789_thumb.jpg

Edited by ISX

Yeah they work good. I need to do something different though. I'd like to move all my batteries to the toolbox but I seem to lose a lot of cranking amps when I do that. Have to come up with a new configuration of doing it that will keep the amps up. I have gained and lost many cranking amps simply by rearranging the negatives. Try and put them all over the block instead of the chassis and it cranks over much faster. There are 3 bolts on the engine mounting brackets that bolt the mount to the block and there is a 4th bolt above the hypotenuse of the mount (mounts shaped like a triangle) which is on both sides of the block, I have big negative cables on both bolts and it makes it crank very fast. I think the one positive going to the starter is my only limiting factor now.

Don't worry. As long as you hit that wire with the connecting hook at precisely 88mph the instant the lightning strikes the tower... everything will be fine.

Yeah they work good. I need to do something different though. I'd like to move all my batteries to the toolbox but I seem to lose a lot of cranking amps when I do that. Have to come up with a new configuration of doing it that will keep the amps up. I have gained and lost many cranking amps simply by rearranging the negatives. Try and put them all over the block instead of the chassis and it cranks over much faster. There are 3 bolts on the engine mounting brackets that bolt the mount to the block and there is a 4th bolt above the hypotenuse of the mount (mounts shaped like a triangle) which is on both sides of the block, I have big negative cables on both bolts and it makes it crank very fast. I think the one positive going to the starter is my only limiting factor now.

Don't worry. As long as you hit that wire with the connecting hook at precisely 88mph the instant the lightning strikes the tower... everything will be fine.

I have a very bad habit of turning things philosophical..but I can't make any sense of that no matter how many different ways I look at it :lol3: I have a few ideas of what your talking about but I am not sure.

I have a very bad habit of turning things philosophical..but I can't make any sense of that no matter how many different ways I look at it :lol3: I have a few ideas of what your talking about but I am not sure.

the movie...back to the future!! watch out mcfly!

any way...isx, what gauge wire did you use to wire up the extra batteries? what kind terminal clams did you use? i am about to change the factory clamps...but the wire is so thick, im not sure i can find clamps to except it....just looking to see what others have done

Baking soda and water will nuetralize any acid. Look at the battery tray, in the center is about a 1" circle.

10-4 on the baking soda and water will neutralize battery acid. Also makes the best battery terminal cleaner I have ever found. We have been using it in our shops for decades. If you can, try to use warm to hot water. Hood Latch

the movie...back to the future!! watch out mcfly!

any way...isx, what gauge wire did you use to wire up the extra batteries? what kind terminal clams did you use? i am about to change the factory clamps...but the wire is so thick, im not sure i can find clamps to except it....just looking to see what others have done

Oh, never saw that movie lol. I just used ones like these. You can loosen the bolts all the way and fit just about anything in there. I got all my extra wire from a long welding lead we had. Posted Image