• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Even with my recently installed winter front, the 190 NAPA isn't holding 190. I was only seeing 190 upon acceleration. I just ordered a Stant 200 from rockauto for under $20. If that doesn't work I might be hunting down some electrical bugs.

The early 6.7 is the same as your 5.9, sounds like NAPA sold you the wrong thermostat.

attachicon.gifIMG_0186.jpg

Carpenter's winter front! Free plywood left over from a job (I forget if it was 3/8" or 1/2"). Primed, 2 coats exterior grade paint and zip ties for under $5. It helps. Heat comes on faster and stays hotter, truck warms up faster. Only downside, in my case, is I can smell oil in the cab from my timing cover to block leak

I found a box in the trash..... shoved the cardboard between my radiator and intercooler! Price: Free!

• Owner

I found a box in the trash..... shoved the cardboard between my radiator and intercooler! Price: Free!

Be careful you are killing off intercooler ability to breathe and the ability of the fan to lock in case of excessive temperatures are created.

This is why I'll cover the grill but never put anything in-between the radiator and the intercooler because you now stopped all air flow over both units and temperatures can and will get out of hand very quickly. If you got a ScanGauge II or Edge Juice watch yout IAT I bet it gets rather hot quickly.

But now with covering the grill as the temperature rises a bit the fan clutch will partial lock and keep a mild amount of air moving so the intercooler doesn't get too hot.

I may be confused here but if you put some cardboard in between the radiator and intercooler, wont it allow the intercooler to still get airflow but not the radiator? I would have thought that keeping the grill blocked off would give you higher IAT's. Because now you have the intercooler, radiator, and a/c condenser behind that blocked grill making heat with no air flow coming in. At least with it in between the two coolers, the condenser and intercooler are still getting fresh air. Maybe I am totally wrong but this is how it makes sense to me.

Be careful you are killing off intercooler ability to breathe and the ability of the fan to lock in case of excessive temperatures are created.

This is why I'll cover the grill but never put anything in-between the radiator and the intercooler because you now stopped all air flow over both units and temperatures can and will get out of hand very quickly. If you got a ScanGauge II or Edge Juice watch yout IAT I bet it gets rather hot quickly.

But now with covering the grill as the temperature rises a bit the fan clutch will partial lock and keep a mild amount of air moving so the intercooler doesn't get too hot.

Mopar, I cut a square hole out directly in front of the fan. It isn't very big, but it allows air to flow to the fan in case it does get hot. Right now I am going to school and it is only a 6 mile drive between my apartment and the school. I have almost everything blocked off just to get it up to temperature before I get to school. I know it isn't good for the motor, but it's my only vehicle! Also, egt's are always below 1,000 with the smarty, so the increased IAT might be good for it???? Correct me if I'm wrong!

I may be confused here but if you put some cardboard in between the radiator and intercooler, wont it allow the intercooler to still get airflow but not the radiator? I would have thought that keeping the grill blocked off would give you higher IAT's. Because now you have the intercooler, radiator, and a/c condenser behind that blocked grill making heat with no air flow coming in. At least with it in between the two coolers, the condenser and intercooler are still getting fresh air. Maybe I am totally wrong but this is how it makes sense to me.

It does get air, but very little. With the cardboard right behind the intercooler there is no place for the air to go if it does travel through the intercooler fins. 

• Like 1

• Staff

You want the IATs to go up, but not too high. Look at the OEM 3rd gen cover, it can block everything and will increase temps quick if you try to tow or drive too fast. Even on a -20 deg day you cannot have all 4 flaps closed at 65 for more than a few miles. 95% of the time I close 3/4 flaps.

WinterFront001.jpg

I put a piece of plastic cardboard between radiator and chargecooler. It has a hole cut in the center about 8 inches by 8 inches.

On my 10 mile drive to and from work the coolant dosen't come to 180 and the intake air temp seldom goes to 80. 

As I understand things my engine is actually running too cold and using too much fuel.

You can allmost feel a difference if driving enough to get the IAT up around 100 or so.

I thought about putting the plastic cardboard in front of the chargecooler.

Not sure about it. Any ideas.

Regards Chris

• Staff

The winter front does help initial warmup time, but not as much as it helps sustaining the temperature. So don't look for miracles in a 10 mile drive, that being said covering the intercooler wouldn't be a bad idea, as even on a cold motto the turbo is increasing the discharge temp a little and you might as well put that heat into the engine and engine bay.

I put the cardboard in the front of everything for the way home this evening.

Pretty much the same temps on the way home.

However after the truck sat  in the driveway for 40 or so minutes while I was plowing the driveway...the coolant temp was still 145 but the IAT was 130...

A bit of engine heat must stay under hood and help keep things toasty.

Will moniter things and post updates if you like.

Regards Chris

I am still driving around with the plastic cardboard thing in the front of everything.

Went for a longer drive today and it was a bit closer to 32 F out.

Coolant stays at 180 or so and IAT is at about 77 to 85.

My edge with juice has a moniter for throttle % and I usually drive with the edge set on 2x2.

I drive like your grandmother. 

Today I noticed that the throttle to keep 50 mph was at 18 to 19 %.

I cranked up the juice to 5x5 and then the throttle % was 12 to 14 to maintain the same 50 mph.

No real hills and no traffic to mess me up.

I wonder if having the juice up to 5 will increase the mileage a noticable amount.

Can it advance the timing enough to make the engine think its warmer. 

I think I will be ordering the IAT modifier shortly.

Chris

Dropped in the 200 degree stant t-stat from rockauto and my temps are still fluctuating. The temp hit 200, the t-stat opened and dropped just below 190 when the coolant started flowing. Then, the temp crept back up to 200, the t-stat opened and dropped to 190-195. Over a 4 hour highway ride the temp would creep to 200, t-stat would open, drop to 190-195ish and keep doing that the whole way. Temps were always over 190, heat was hot hot, and I think my mpgs were up. My overhead showed almost 23mpg, it's pretty close to hand calculated. I only had about 400lbs in the bed but had some good wind resistance and I had a head wind so the engine was always under some load and I still can't keep a constant temp.

post-1611-0-74461400-1391960765_thumb.jp

Normal temp fluctuations or should I be searching for something?

i used to have the vent hose running down the side of the eng because of the bottle issue but unhooked it for some reason i will have to go back to that . i just vacumed a lot of fussys with oil in them off the front of the radiator the other day should help my radiator temp though. does anyone have a good way to clean any excess oil from the radiator fins without bending them?

Dropped in the 200 degree stant t-stat from rockauto and my temps are still fluctuating. The temp hit 200, the t-stat opened and dropped just below 190 when the coolant started flowing. Then, the temp crept back up to 200, the t-stat opened and dropped to 190-195. Over a 4 hour highway ride the temp would creep to 200, t-stat would open, drop to 190-195ish and keep doing that the whole way. Temps were always over 190, heat was hot hot, and I think my mpgs were up. My overhead showed almost 23mpg, it's pretty close to hand calculated. I only had about 400lbs in the bed but had some good wind resistance and I had a head wind so the engine was always under some load and I still can't keep a constant temp.

attachicon.gif2013-08-13 11.26.41 (2).jpg

Normal temp fluctuations or should I be searching for something?

Mine acts a lot like yours except 10* cooler(190* stat in mine). The first 7 years I drove it sat at 190* most all the time and hardly moved. The last 6 months it acts like yours. Prior to that mine was all over the place. Thats another story though.

Do you work for a grading of pipe contractor? I just installed a boat load of underground retention using the same system you have in the back of your truck on the last Chick-fil-A I built.

i used to have the vent hose running down the side of the eng because of the bottle issue but unhooked it for some reason i will have to go back to that . i just vacumed a lot of fussys with oil in them off the front of the radiator the other day should help my radiator temp though. does anyone have a good way to clean any excess oil from the radiator fins without bending them?

Take it out and pressure wash it. t is easy to remove and the best way I know to clean it good.

• Like 1

Do you work for a grading of pipe contractor? I just installed a boat load of underground retention using the same system you have in the back of your truck on the last Chick-fil-A I built.

Haa that's funny. I do some work for advanced drainage systems (ADS), corrugated plastic pipe w/green stripe, and stormtech, owned by ADS, plastic arch chambers. I did some office work for them not too long ago and I certainly saw some Chick-fil-A projects across the country where stormtech was spec'd but I don't know how many went through.