• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Bhaf For Mpg

Damn your Napa must be generous. Mine was right about this price when I last checked.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx/Air-Filter-Gold-Air-Filter/_/R-FIL6637_0006473389

I bought the 6637 at my local napa about 6 or 8 months ago for about $30.Just walked in off the street. When I pulled up your link and priced it, it was $65. No way I would pay $65 for the 6637, maybe the 2790.

I wish I still had the receipt, I just know when I bought it it was very reasonable. I paid around $75 for the BHAF from Vulcan 3 years or so ago and was surprised at the 6637 price when I bought it. Who actually manufactures this filter? My sticker says Dura Lube. The same as was on the one I got from Vulcan.

My napa is good with prices, but I pay through a cash account for a construction co. I work for in the summer. Yours prob can get close if they want to make the sale.

On a side note, I just got a new spare tire winch for the snapped one my truck came with and a new grid heater battery to lug jumper for the hacked one on my truck from a place called dodgepart.net. I got both with shipping for less than my dealer wanted for the winch alone.

Obiously it pays to shop around on any truck purchase!

AP

• Staff

.QUOTE......AGP Turbo

On a side note, I just got a new spare tire winch for the snapped one my truck came with and a new grid heater battery to lug jumper for the hacked one on my truck from a place called dodgepart.net. I got both with shipping for less than my dealer wanted for the winch alone.
Obiously it pays to shop around on any truck purchase!..... Quote

AGP, A bit off topic..... can you explain where the tire winch broke.... what to look for?? It's a safety concern
of mine if it ever comes loose on the highway and hitting someone. I don't trust those winches beyond about ten years.

Edited by JAG1

JAG1, from the looks of it, it broke near the tire retainer because it is gone.  I have not taken it off yet, maybe today, but I thought it either snapped from rust (The truck is clean , so I'm not so sure about that) or, it was stuck in the up position when someone got a flat and they hacked/shredded the cables to get the tire down. I'll let you know more when I get it all done.

AP

How did you go about making an outerwear? I though about just using an old T-shirt or something.

I picked up some felt like fabric from the fabric store and cut the pieces out and had my MIL sow them up! Even have a hole on the end for the filter minder and use some 550 cord to tighten the outerwear over the filter. I think it works great!

To this day, my BHAF looks like its still brand new! I had enough material to make 2, so I think I should be good for a while!

• Like 1

Do you have a heat shield for the filter? I havent made one yet. Thats also why I havent made an outwear for mine because its pretty close to that turbo. Wouldnt want to catch anything on fire..

I used the one Moparman put up as a drawing. It wasn't too hard but I didn't cut it perfectly either so I had to ream out two mounting holes about 1/16 bigger for better figment. As soon as it gets powder coated and the weather warms up I will put it on. The heat down here is ridiculous and I can't imagine what the under good temps would be like.

Even with pulling my trailer on a steep grade for miles, getting EVERYTHING hot pullin, I do not have any signs that it burnt the outerwear or anything. I do not think its likely it would happen, as your fan should be pulling alot of air through the bay that would keep those temps down.

I do not have a shield either. I could take pics of how I did mine...

Update- 

I did complete the BHAF today! I got the 2790, Napa gold filter for $46.80 at the local Napa. I printed and taped together Mike's heat shield template on some aluminum sheet, and it fit really well, as in the heat shield dropped right over the three studs. Time will tell if the aluminum holds up next to the turbo, if not I'll switch to 14-16Ga steel. The truck runs out MUCH better, turbo spools faster, truck up-shifts faster, and holds gears longer.  I think right behind the fuel pressure gauge- this should be your number 2!

Many thanks MIKE!

AP

post-2273-0-00562200-1390444140_thumb.jp

Edited by AGPTurbo