• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

2 Stroke and the Common Rail

dorkweed

For anyone interested, I've got the 04.5 listed in my signature. I've been running 2 stroke oil in her now for almost 1.5 years and 30,000+ miles. No problems at all. No gummed up injectors, no carboned up injectors, no frozen fuel in cold weather and none of the other crazy fears thrown out there about using this stuff in your fuel.

What I have seen is a smoother idle and high speed operation. I've also seen about a .5-1 mpg increase in fuel mileage since I starting using the 2 stroke. I've always had a smooth and quiet 3rd generation truck also!! But the oil makes it even more quiet!!!

I just got back from a week long hunting trip to North Dakota. We obviously took my truck because it has 4 doors and can haul a trailer rather economically!!! Anyhow, 4 guys in my truck, 2 dogs in crates in the back along with anything assorted equipment we could fit back there. In back of that we towed a 5x8 very stought single axle open top trailer that was loaded to the gills with gear. If I had to guess, I'd bet our GVW would've been about 12,000lbs. A couple of my hunting buds are pushing 3 spins on the scale!!! All that said, the fuel mileage for our trip was as follows: tank 1....19.1mpg, tank 2....18.7mpg, tank 3....16.6mpg, tank 4....18.9mpg. I still am running tank 5 now, as we filled up only about 100 miles from home. Until I hitched my work trailer up to her, she was reading 20.3mpg on the overhead, which is quite accurate. All these tanks had 2 stroke oil added to them. The highway speeds were kept at about 70mph and the hunting area speeds averaged 40-60mph on the better gravel roads!!!!!

All that said, I USE my truck for what it was designed for. I tow most everyday of the week. In fact, my truck had my work trailer behind her the day after I drove her off the lot!!! I don't know where this gummed up/carboned up injectors crap comes from........at least for me. Probably from folks that take there truck to the train station and take the train to work!!!! :rolleyes Anyway, that's my story. :thumbsup

• Owner

Glad to see you trip went wel and you enjoyed yourself. Sounds like the 2 cycle oil is still doing its magic in your truck. I'm still discussing with people about 2 cycle oil usage but It seem we got some people that think that something might happen in 100K miles later to there expensive injectors or engine... We both are living proof that nothing will happen... :thumbsup

Mike, that 100k mile thing when stuff goes South is usually just after the warranty expires!!!! I really do think that if most of the posters truly knew how engines work, they wouldn't post the questions that they do. I've never seen a 2 stroke engine gummed up or carboned up. If it is gummed up or carboned up, it wasn't running properly and it wasn't the oil that caused the problem. Same holds true for our diesels. The ratio we're mixing is really, really thin. 128:1 is recommended. Most 2 stroke engines run at 32:1, 40:1 or 50:1 like my Evinrude outboard on my boat. If these high revving engines can survive with only the oil in the fuel as internal lubrication, it can't be bad for our fuel systems at the ratios we run. Just my .02 cents!!

• 9 months later...
  • Owner

I been running it in my 99 for almost a year with zero problems........................... :)

I'm heading into my 3rd year now... 43,000 miles on 2 cycle oil and turning some awesome MPG numbers now! 8| :wow I know neither one of us is a 3rd Gen CR engine but... There isn't much difference to the CR engine to the 2nd gen trucks... They both work the same but the fuel system is slightly different... :rolleyes

• 3 weeks later...

The surest way to carbon up injectors is to run the engine in hot and shut down, it also helps to lug down to get good quantities of smoke.I suspect that they would run well on 50% mix, I'm not going to try it without a full fuel bench because I would be more than annoyed if I was wrong. I have been using misc oil that is under 50wt at less than 10% with normal operation of the engine. There is about 30 gal of misc refrigeration oil ( about 2/3rds used from a compressor change ), 3 qts of 30wt nondetergent, 5 gal of used Hytran hyd fluid, motorcycle fork oil... the numbers are pretty consistent 20 mpg with the topper ant tool boxes and 18 with the camper or equipment trailer or both and running a little slower.The only thing that did not compute is a gallon of WEO -Rotella syn- that computed 17.89 on the pump numbers but dropped almost 1mpg when I added in the WEO with the pump numbers. Guess that I will go back to using it for trailer deck preservative.keydl

• 5 weeks later...

This may be mute, but it appears that most of the MPG gains from using 2-stroke are realized with 2nd gen trucks. I'm more concerned with providing lube than MPG. I want to use it and yes I have an 07, but it's a 5.9 with a CAT. I'm not sure if all 3rd gen came with a CAT or not. I keep reading where a lot of threads so No No with 07 a CAT. Is it the CAT or just with the 6.7? I know the reasoning behind the 6.7, but will it hurt a 5.9 with a CAT? :confused:

• 3 months later...
  • Owner

I've been putting in a qt, (32oz.), at every fill-up, 20-25 gal. fuel. Is this too much, should I cut back?

First of WELCOME to MOPAR1973MAN.COM

Yeap that is over kill... Let say the fill up was 25 gallons of fuel...

So at 128:1 ratio should of been 25 ounces of oil (Heaviest mixture)

And at 200:1 ratio should of been 16 ounces of oil (tyipcally where most 3rd gen get ther best...)

And at 256:1 ration should of been 12.5 ounces of oil (lightest mixture)

Here is the math for it...

Convert gallons of fuel to ounces...

128 x (Gallons of fuel) = Ounces of fuel

Ratio fo fuel to oil...

3,200 Ounces (Fuel) / 200 (Ratio) = 16 Ounces

First, Let me say Thank You.Looks like I have been over kill. I'll be cutting down to 1/2 qt. per fill-up, 20-25 gal.Tell me if this is correct, I was mixing 6 oz. of Howes Meaner Kleaner with the 2 stroke oil and have stopped mixing them together. Now once or twice a year I'll give it a good dose with no 2 stroke oil added.

• Owner

First, Let me say Thank You.

Looks like I have been over kill. I'll be cutting down to 1/2 qt. per fill-up, 20-25 gal.

Tell me if this is correct, I was mixing 6 oz. of Howes Meaner Kleaner with the 2 stroke oil and have stopped mixing them together. Now once or twice a year I'll give it a good dose with no 2 stroke oil added.

There is no reason for injector cleaners... If there is a concern of dirt entering the injecotrs that upgrade your fuel filter to 2-3 microns once you done that there is zero concerns for injector cleaners ever again.

But as for the fuel lubricant... Today's fuel is short in fuel lubicity and will remain that way for a long time. So 2 cycle oil should be used every tank...

Mixing any cetane booster, injector cleaner, or anti-gel with 2 cycle oil just cancels out the 2 cycle and the additive...

Cetane Booster - Increase cetane levels and reduces BTU's

2 Cycle Oil - Decreases Cetane and increase BTU's

Injector Cleaner - Decrease lubricity

2 Cycle Oil - Increases lubricity

Yeah, way overkill!!! In my 04.5, I'm running 1/2oz per 1gal diesel. I do that because some of the fuel stations I fill up at sell "diesel surprise".....which is diesel that can contain anywhere from 2-20%bio diesel!!! Even if I do fill at a station that is pumping bio, I still add the 2 stroke oil. I've not experienced any problems at all from running it with the bio!! The past 2 weeks we've seen temps down a low as -10 here. No gelling etc.

• 2 months later...

I'm new here and decided to join after reading the 2cy oil fuel additive info. Well, ok after fueling and adding 2cy for the first time and finding I was shocked the nx morning at the immediate positive results (Quiet, QUIET, NO injector noise, Smooth, Response). I'm really taken back by the very noticeable improvement in all of the above. Turned the Attitude down from 4 to 3, much smoother with what feels like a better response, cool. I fueled again tonight with another quart of 2cy oil, leaving the XPD/Stanadyne out and had a pleasant surprise of .6 mpg mileage increase. Same pump, same position at the island, still winter fuel, hand calculated 19.4 mpg. I know it really takes more than 1tank, as many as half dozen to accurately reflect an honest fuel mileage change but with the other obvious results I will be surprised if mileage has not increased just because of the way the truck runs. There was 11 gal. left in the tank so it will take several refuelings to delute the XPD/Stanadyne out to near nothing but it will be interesting if mileage continues to increase slightly as it burns away. After reading now that I'm probably over doing it in mix ratio I will cut to the suggested ratio the next tank full. So Michael thanks for some great information and putting it in a manner that made sense to me...John

Alright I have been thinking a little too much about all this and as everyone knows, biodiesel has insane lubrication properties. Now, as per wal mart prices, a gallon of 2 stroke supertech is like $10-12, cant remember which :confused: but anyways, I went through the veggie oils aisle and noticed a gallon of veggie oil is around $8.. My question is, if I mixed it at 128:1, same as with 2 stroke, would I get the insane lube that biodiesel is known for? Seems all the tests were run on B2 or B5 which are ratios of 89.6:1 (B2) and 20:1 (B5), if my math serves me right. So since I would be running it at 128:1, would it degrade the lubricity of the veggie oil, down to 2 stroke levels, would it still be superior to 2 stroke, or would it be a complete waste of time..? The only reason I am bothering with asking is that the veggie oil increases cetane and having cranked my timing up it does not start very good anymore, as in it starts at 40f like everyone else's starts at 10f, but the mileage is up so I am not going back >:)I just got a new idea, 50/50 of veggie and 2 stroke :thumbsup Well I need opinions now LOL