• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Lift Pump

Jones, 

I'm having the same questions.  I will use my truck to travel long distances/ road trips.  I don't want to put a system on that could break down and leave me with no chance for getting spare parts.  I was thinking of doing an airtex relocation frame mount, and just carrying a spare.  I hear everyone say that we need to upgrade to a FASS or Airdog, but then those same people write about motor failures, spring failures, leaking housings etc.  I like stock and I love the pump moved to the frame idea.  Unless there is a way to mount a FASS or Airdog stock style replacement pump to the frame, and still carry a spare Airtex to swap in an emergency.

AP

• Like 1

You can get a FASS DDRP with a frame mount I believe. The other option is an Airdog raptor 100. Thats what I run and its mounted on the frame. It is about the same exact size as the stock pump but you get more flow with it. Yes, they were having problems with them but I hear they have since cleared it it. I have been running mine for about a year with no issues yet. The biggest thing is you need that pressure between 14 PSI and 20 PSI. Anything less and the VP44 will overheat and anything more and you run the chance of blowing the seals out in the VP44. It should stay between 14-20 AT ALL TIMES.

• Owner

I've seen where people get lucky and push the upper pressure well up to 30 and above. Making claims that the VP44 will accept those kind of pressures. Might be true but for how long till something fails? Does anyone have the proper means of diagnosing VP44?

Being the factory lift pump came out with 14-15 PSI and adding a mere 5 more to it isn't going to make or break it. But now doubling the pressures you asking for troubles.

We already know that stock plumbing and pumps are marginal at best at even keeping 10 PSI and wonder why we have such failures. But rather strange to see industrial ISB engines like for tractors and such rarely have VP44 issues. Makes you think.

I  think most  industrial  apps   are not  pushing the   engine to the max...  probably  100-150  hp  for  most  continuous duty  situations...  and  that  is  ~5 gallons per hour....I guarantee you they don't have  5/16ths  supply line either!     and the other  possibility is   industrial  apps  usually have the  fuel tank  above  the engine.(and it's  usually only  1 or 2 feet away)     A  combine harvester  is  the  only  machine I can think of  that  has to draw from below.  (not aware of  anyone using a cummins  on  a  combine anyway)

The VP44 came into existence for emissions reasons....I am not aware of anything they are on in an industrial application?

I have seen construction equipment as new as 05 with a P7100 on it, along with a mechanical lift pump at the back of the block.

Edited by diesel4life
  • Like 1

Yep, Ive seen several CR engines as well. We actually have 2 shuttlewagons at work with CP3s, and our baby crane, an 03 or 04 Grove looks to be a 12 valve (has seperate valve covers) with a p7100.

I've ran a few track hoes with 24 valve engines and a P7100. I'm not saying there is nothing out there with a VP44, I've just never seen anything. I always assumed they were only in Dodge trucks and the UPS vans.