• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

What To Use In Sub Zero Temps..

I was just wondering about motor oil. I am getting ready to change mine before a big trip and was thinking about switching to synthetic. The ONLY reason I would do the switch at the moment is for cold flow properties. At the moment, I am running Delo 400 and when it is -20 to -30 in the mornings before work, it takes a good 5 minutes or more of idling to get up to 40 psi. That cant be good!!

What does everyone think? Will the synthetic really flow that much better at those temps? I have never run synthetic before.

When I ran synthetic in my '99, it helped cold starts hugely.  Both plugged in and not plugged in.  That was the only advantage I could see/hear though. 

That said, where is this trip gonna be going to?  And for how long???  If'n you're going to a warm weather place for an extended time, I wouldn't bother with the synthetic oil.  However, if'n you're coming back home only after a couple days, go with the synthetic because of the winter we're having and the cold starts you do at home.

When I ran synthetic in my '99, it helped cold starts hugely.  Both plugged in and not plugged in.  That was the only advantage I could see/hear though. 

That said, where is this trip gonna be going to?  And for how long???  If'n you're going to a warm weather place for an extended time, I wouldn't bother with the synthetic oil.  However, if'n you're coming back home only after a couple days, go with the synthetic because of the winter we're having and the cold starts you do at home.

I am actually driving to colorado springs, CO for a weekend. Its gonna be a long weekend but I love those long drives!! Should be about 2200 miles in one weekend. I think I will go with the synthetic since I wont be there very long.

It will work for you.

Personally I like the 10w30 diesel oil, I have had good luck with it over the years myself but the pour point is higher than the 15-40 by a few degrees for some reason.

I run it in my Kubota tractor which doesn't have a block heater and it has never failed to start down to -10*.

Edited by Wild and Free
  • Like 1

I am a dealer for it myself. My inlaws were among the first to sign up as dealers in the early 70's, they are the ones who got me started into researching themk as a company. They are the originators of synthetic and always among the highest in quality and new technology too.

• Like 1

Well, there are a couple of reasons I prefer Amsoil. #1 in my book is that when they did an expansion a few years back they hired a Union contractor (yes, I was one of the pipefitters that worked on the expansion), #2 is they were the first synthetic manufacturer so they have more experience (i got to see a little bit of what goes into making the oils), #3 is the convenience of living about a half hour drive from their manufacturing and distribution facility.

• 3 weeks later...

Have you looked at any 10W30 HDEO's Mobil , Shell , and Chevron all offer them, most major oil co's do.

Check the local farm supply stores or small mom an pop type auto stores , even  some chain parts stores will order it if they don't have it on the shelf.

I think you'd like them.

HDEO? I ended up getting the Mobil 1 Full synthetic heavy duty turbo charged diesel motor oil. 5w-40. It was the cheapest for me to order in to the store. I can get the amsoil but I dont get much of a discount and it would have taken a week longer.

I have placed many orders over the last 10 years and get it 2 days later every time and I am twice as far from the outlet as you, not sure how getting Amsoil in Grand forks wouldn't be a next day delivery or 2nd day at most.

Edited by Wild and Free
  • Like 1

For whatever reason my suppliers only get an amsoil order twice a month. I know I am closer but I am having to work with my suppliers on things like this. I suppose I couldve had it drop shipped but I dont know how I would get billed for it. The whole situation was wacky so I took the easy route. I can get Mobil 1 products over night from my warehouse.