• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Disassembled A Bosch Vp44 Injection Pump

• Owner

She was definitely seized.

How is that big bearing in the pump body lubricated?

The whole body of the pump is flooded with fuel. The bearing is a bit rough feeling too.

How can you tell they were running offroad fuel?

I can't tell you how many hundreds of gallons I ran through my former 00, but that was before ULSD.

The liquid that came out was very pink to red looking.

I take back my previous statement. You are the man as always. Nice job.

Your humble servant,

Cluck

Thank you... I'm still getting pictures and parts line up and functions put together.

• Like 1

• Owner

I figured it had to be, it's amazing a bearing could survive in liquid spinning high rpms for long periods of time!

Good pics Mike, thanks for taking the time.

Another miss... Remember the VP44 is turn the same rate as the Cam 1/2 of Crank RPM's so If your cruising at 2,000 at 68 MPH that VP44 is barely spinning 1,000 RPM's. So even at full redline 3,200  RPM's would be only 1,600 RPM's at the VP44.

• Like 1

COOL STUFF! :woot:

So I always heard that running over 20 PSI can "tear the diaphram," but since there is no diaphram, what can be damaged by slightly higher fuel pressure?? (say 25-30 PSI)

Is it okay if I put a link to this thread in the "How the VP44 injections system works" thread on the Cummins Forum?

• Owner

COOL STUFF! :woot:

So I always heard that running over 20 PSI can "tear the diaphram," but since there is no diaphram, what can be damaged by slightly higher fuel pressure?? (say 25-30 PSI)

Is it okay if I put a link to this thread in the "How the VP44 injections system works" thread on the Cummins Forum?

The front seal. That would be the only thing that would still worry me with over pressure.

Knock yourself out drop a link anywhere you want...

• Like 2

• Owner

I'm going to keep this pump semi assembled for show and tell reasons. I'm going to take the time and clean all the parts up and tweak them for easy fitting and then do like ISX did with the P7100 pump and show the functions in video form. But being this pump is a train wreck and needs some serious clean up I'll get on the ball and get that done. I want to make this pump easy to pull apart and show part placement and everything for all future questions about VP44.

I think its finally awesome to kill off that old diaphragm myth of tearing and so forth.

• Like 2

Another miss... Remember the VP44 is turn the same rate as the Cam 1/2 of Crank RPM's so If your cruising at 2,000 at 68 MPH that VP44 is barely spinning 1,000 RPM's. So even at full redline 3,200  RPM's would be only 1,600 RPM's at the VP44.

Yes, and that cam and all associated parts are lubricated with oil, not fuel. That amazes me.

Ed,

The flow path goes from the inlet into a holding area under the computer, I will call it the " cooling chamber".  All the electronics sit on the metal bottom (heatsink) of the plastic computer.  More flow the better the cooling.  If the overflow is closed then you will only get as much flow as the VP44 is using at any point.  no way around that since there is only one way into and out of that "cooling chamber".  the flow input from the holding area is pretty small too,  no amount of 1/2" hose is going to flow more since the restriction is actually the passageway going out of the "cooling chamber".  I would say and I think Mike will agree that above 14 psi is still what is called safe when it comes to cooling defined fuel path will be good though.

Now I would guess that most of the timing failed pumps P0216 code are due to bad timing pistons.

Thanks

Nick

Edited by me78569

• Owner

I never believed a woman that said she had a diaphragm, either....

So, I would like to see a detailes flowpath of fuel for the computer. From the inlet to the 14PSI overflow valve. Can we confirm that that fuel does actually cool the puter?

I'll do some route checking for the return fuel.

Yes, and that cam and all associated parts are lubricated with oil, not fuel. That amazes me.

Correction... All parts are lubricated by fuel not oil.

This why the <450 HFRR is so critical for the VP44 pump because all the rollers and shoes don't have bearings just harden parts.

Mike you need some sleep LOL.

The cam I was referring to was the same cam you were talking about, as in the engine cam.

I was simply marvelling that the bearings in the VP can survive off of being lubricated by fuell at X rpm for hundreds of thousands of miles in some cases.