• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Bad Oil Leak

I drove mine for a lot longer than I should have with out fixing it. Other than making everything oily and nasty and providing you keep tabs on your oil level, it did not hurt any thing mechanically. The last trip I made I was loosing a quart every 300 miles. Thats what pushed me over limit and I did have the time.

I drove mine for a lot longer than I should have with out fixing it. Other than making everything oily and nasty and providing you keep tabs on your oil level, it did not hurt any thing mechanically. The last trip I made I was loosing a quart every 300 miles. Thats what pushed me over limit and I did have the time.

Time to head to the carwash!

• 2 months later...

Well after letting it get so be that the truck was dropping a gallon every 70 miles, I finally took it to a shop I could trust. The leak was so bad that they suspected a blown head gasket. Thankfully upon further inspection they discovered it was the tappet cover gasket and... The fact that the cover itself had developed a hole and was spewing oil all over the place. $1300 later it looks like the problem is solved.

That's only about $259 an hour. Not bad for a family discount. I'd go back with the data. Flat rate accordin to MT is under 5 hours. Ask them why they didn't give you a free tube of KY. If that's family, I'd run for the hills.

My guy is about $85 an hour. He's a flat rate shop. Meaning that what the computer tells him is what he charges. Lucky he's not family. $85x5=$425 + parts. $500 tops. Two choices. Be mad forever that family screwed you or confront them.

Edited by joecool911
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I would throw my experience in there... I replaced mine and still had a small leak off the back side of the engine. I drove it that way for a month at school because I didn't have to tools to do it again. A month later I came home, tore it apart in the morning and found the bottom corner had come part way out of the groove of the cover. Not a big deal, so I buttoned it up again. Later that day I found it leaking out of the same spot! I took it back apart again and found cover itself was slightly bowed away from the engine. I GENTLY massaged it back straight, bent around the bolt holes out a little bit to provide a tighter seal, and buttoned it back up. Now I am leak free, but if you have yours apart check to see if it is bowed at all... Doing it 3 times in a month and twice in a day sucks!

The VP is about 4 hrs. I ran into a bunch of things that needed doing. Cleaning took time, a shop that did my clutch left a starter bolt out, can sensor should be changed if it hasn't been. Some brackets from the stock fuel pump needed to come off, wiring harness needed to be taped.

Shops don't usually do these little things. They just want to throw parts in and want and get money.

Athe guy that screwed up my clutch & trans install didn't even clean the bell housing. I wish his fee had gone towards a lift.