• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

3Rd Gen Or 4Th Gen Steering Upgrade For 2Nd Gen?

Definitely upgrade the track bar to the 3rd gen style it requires a bolt on bracket on the driver side when you buy the conversion kit. It gets rid of the POS end link that wears out constantly and goes to a bolt and bushing, much more trouble free and less maintenance and hold the front axle more stable.

Other than that the only other upgrade I tell everybody to get is to replace the factory loosey goosey 4.5 turn gear box with a 3 turn unit.

This alone is the best steering upgrade you can do to make the 2nd gen steering feel safer and drive nicer.

I have owned three second gens a 3rd gen and a 4th gen and have tried every steering upgrade in the book so I kind of know what to suggest here from personal experience with them.

On edit I see you have a 2wd so I can not give good advice in that area, have not had the opportunity to work on the front end of one so not sure how they are set up or if they even have a track bar like a 4wd does.

How much does the upgrade cost. Thanks

But the steering gear is the way to go for sure.

I think I changed out the factory ones at around 50K miles and the Moogs at about half that even on my 1995 1500 I went through 1 factory and 2 moogs by the time I sold it with 110K on it but I ran 285-75-16 for about 80K of those.

I had the same symptoms on all three 2nd gens I had when the end link went bad it felt like someone banging on the floorboard with a hammer on rough roads, was very annoying.

With the lukes link on the track bar end you still have a similar pitman ball joint that needs adjusting and can still wear out if not kept up on. With a 3rd gen style it has a bushing on the end and does away with the ball socket style end link.

Did this come as a kit? Or did you just buy the stock parts for an 09 truck and put them on?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm on the verg of pulling the trigger on this 3rd gen track bar upgrade...  $360 seems like a good price & doing it along with the TRE & aligning the truck once seems smart.  Ad is still up. 

I found CPP kit  http://www.cumminsperformanceparts.com/2ndgento3rdg.html   Only works with up to 3" lift but I'm stock height.  I'm liking the all complete price.  $360 with free shipping (lower 48). 

I have ordered the 3rd Gen Track Bar Conversion from CPPhttp://www.cumminsperformanceparts.com/2ndgento3rdg.html   $390 including the track bar & Free Shipping.  Looks to be all complete, no drill installation.  It will be installed at a professional front end shop.  http://forum.mopar1973man.com/index.php?/topic/8560-omg-truck-suddenly-lurches-to-right/?p=92810   I expect there will be other parts needed, but they are available locally. 

• Owner

No pavement queen here used offroad quite a bit. I won't jump for any "3rd Gen Upgrade or modified track bars". Most all ball joint and track bar issues are typically caused from over sized tires and lift  or leveling kits. I cleared 185k miles on stock track bar and ball joints. Now on my second set and just inspect the front end a week ago and its still tight no issues.

The reason why I say this I've seen so many cut or modify the ball end of the track bar. Then what happens is you now stuck hunting for those particular parts. I've seen a few local truck go absolutely to junk because they upgraded to a aftermarket trackbar kit to "fix the 2nd gen issues" and then no longer can get the modified parts now. :rolleyes:

There's always a risk of using after market...  Quadzilla, Airdog, etc...  but one can always go out & buy another complete kit from somebody & start over.  Junk a Cummins truck???    I am STOCK height & Running the ACTUAL OEM tires & wheels the truck came with...  3 tires still good but the RF is iffy, where I suspect A TRE.  Call me in another 13 years to see how the Track bar is doing? 

CPP promises to "ship at once"...  I ordered first thing Monday 6/2...  I had received order confirmation & a link to check status.  Nothing changing over 2 days.  I admit I'm a little itchy but I messaged this morning asking for an update because I'm waiting for the part before taking the truck in.  I don't want to be twiddling my thumbs waiting on a part that didn't get shipped.  

I received a response that they would check with the warehouse & send me tracking information. 

I honestly don't know.  I expect it will drive as well as new.  But what I don't know is how far my OEM track bar has worn...  it makes sense that these parts all 'must' wear until they reach the point of being out of spec.  It's unclear to me why one part would suddenly fail, as they seem to, say a Tie Rod End, when the others are still "good".  But are they really? 

This replacement may be just precautionary, in which case, I wouldn't expect much change.  If the original is well worn, then I would expect new parts to tighten it up.  I'll feel better knowing when I hook up that heavy camper, that I can count on being in control.   

ADDITIONAL:

I was still impatiently waiting for the tracking information for the Titan 3rd Gen Track Bar KIt...  when UPS rolled up my driveway this afternoon. (6/5)  Yes, it was my kit.   So now I need to get my truck into the Wheel & Brake Shop.  Can't fault the shipping speed. 

Edited by flagmanruss

No pavement queen here used offroad quite a bit. I won't jump for any "3rd Gen Upgrade or modified track bars". Most all ball joint and track bar issues are typically caused from over sized tires and lift  or leveling kits. I cleared 185k miles on stock track bar and ball joints. Now on my second set and just inspect the front end a week ago and its still tight no issues.

The reason why I say this I've seen so many cut or modify the ball end of the track bar. Then what happens is you now stuck hunting for those particular parts. I've seen a few local truck go absolutely to junk because they upgraded to a aftermarket trackbar kit to "fix the 2nd gen issues" and then no longer can get the modified parts now. :rolleyes:

I agree to an extent.

I replaced my stock trackbar this past fall when I did the rest of the front end at 170k: Ball-Joints, Unit Bearings, 2011 steering upgrade, brakes, & shocks.   It seemed foolish to not replace it with everything else being new. I bought a beefier moog unit and was surprised when I pulled the stock one out.  it was still fine. ball end was still tight, bushing was not destroyed.

I expected it to be a basket case.

all front end components were still origonal with the exception of the ball joints which I did 5 years ago. This truck sees heavy use with a snowplow that is larger than should be on this truck, very oversized tires, lots of firewood cutting, frozen chiselplowed fields deer hunting, and tows a 28' camper, and has a driver with a bad attitude.

I dont understand why so many have such problems with the trackbar and others dont.

I will say that I am VERY impressed with the 2011 steering upgrade. I got mine for around $340 shipped out of South Carolina. 

Edited by UglyTruck