• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Propane, Gaseous Gold!

hex0rz

I paid 1.40 ish for summer fill propane IIRC this summer.

Another thing to figure in is whether your furnace is 120v or 240 v and how efficient it is as part of the equation, what type of fan and t-stat controller and programmable ect.and how it runs as well.

The new pellet stoves are nice especially if they are set up for multi fuel pellets, very little ash and with the high efficiency stoves can be piped out the wall with just a vent, no more chimney.

interesting..  I never  would've  guessed  the pellets  as  economical   as  that!  

Course,    splitting wood half the winter,    then  going to the chiropractor, then   the eye doctor to remove  wood chips from orbs...     all part of  the  'cheap'  wood  supply!

• Like 1

interesting..  I never  would've  guessed  the pellets  as  economical   as  that!  

Course,    splitting wood half the winter,    then  going to the chiropractor, then   the eye doctor to remove  wood chips from orbs...     all part of  the  'cheap'  wood  supply!

Not to mention cost and maintenance of log splitter, chain saw, gas, oil, LOTS AND LOTS of time, the fuel and time to haul it from source and depending on the source then you may or may not have clean up and haul away duty there too.

I wish I didn't have one nor my mother in law would be much cheaper and easier with pellets and lots less ash to dispose of too less smoke less stink ect ect ect.

Makes my new 98% efficient 120v propane furnace look better every day. :smart:

Hee hee, between cutting and splitting wood for my grandfather for the last 12 years when he could no longer do it and the last 2 years doing 90% of my fathers because he blew his back out, I have no desire to do it for myself. Granted it is cheaper than anything else, but I still invest in a fair amount every year on gas and maintenance for the equipment, not to mention a lot of time. I generally have to go no further than a 12 mile radius from dads house but a lot of the woods are inaccessible by my truck, which means extra trips loading up the tractor and wood cart and hauling it to the location, which costs more gas. And more time. None of it really matters as my grandparents are on a fixed income, and seeing how appreciative they are every time I bring another load to them is priceless.

I just need pops to get that back of his healthy again, or I'm going to be at this a really long time!

Local coops have a deferred billing summer fill program, they fill tanks early and then wait until end of July beginning of August and then bill at whatever the lowest price of the summer was and if you pay within a week of getting the bill you get another 5% discount off top of that.

neighbor has  a  corn stove.    He  fills it  with a  5 gallon bucket  2x  day.  (strong  bushel  per day)   Now,   back when  corn  was   7-8 bucks  a bushel,     It  was  pretty  hard to  fill that thing.    Even todays price of  ~3.50  Is   a little  'rich'.  LOL     Not near the interest in them  these days.

Dumb thing  is   nutz to  watch,   little auger dribbles   1 or 2  kernels   every  few seconds,     Keeping the motherboard alive in the  brainbox  is  very pricey though.

• Owner

:think: 

Rancherman what are you doing?

I don't have half the problems you do? I hitch up the 20 ton splitter to the ATV driver over to the wood pile. Fire up the wood splitter and proceed to split wood. If the rounds are to heavy to lift no problem put the splitter in vertical mode and driver the splitter to the round. Sit down and spit it up. Getting wood in your eyes? You really got me baffled with that one. :shrug:

• 7 months later...
  • Staff

I just called my propane Co-Op to check on the summer price. $1.299 which is a bit cheaper than last summer. 

I have the 1000 gal tank and as of last weekend it was at 60% which means I have only used 200 gallons since December which isn't too bad with a hot water heater pilot light going 24/7. 

I figure I will fill up in September and be good til Sep 16. 

My bill should show up any day now, am expecting it to be under a buck a gallon this year for the first time in a decade from what I have heard of late. :hyper:

I do a deferred billing summer fill program through a local CO-OP, They fill in late spring early summer and don't bill until late July early August and lock in the lowest price they buy at bulk for the season and then if you pay the bill within a week or receipt they give another 5% discount.