• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Going Solar Powered On The Rv

• Staff

I've got a 1000 watt Honda generator which meets my needs pretty well. Charges batteries and provides A/C when needed. Not sure I use my RV enough to rationalize expense of solar.

How small is your A/C that it will run on 1000w??

I agree on the expense, my Honda's where more money that solar but work in all weather and provide the needed power for A/C.

So far I'm about $280 bucks into this project. I'm sure you paid more in that Honda generator. Then the constant need for fuel for the generator (added cost), solar is free power. Then the constant noise of it running, solar is total silent.

Just food for thought...

Yeah the Honda's are a bit more money for sure, but really I don't see Solar ever working for me. When I need the battery recharge the most is in the spring when it's cold at night, even if there was a full day of sun the solar day is short in Feb/Mar/Apr and the mountains make it shorter. Even with 300AH of batteries I would be nervous with solar as a power source, and if I owned a gen I would just use it.

In the summer my AH requriement is low since heat isn't needed, but A/C is often needed and the solar cannot give enough power (without costing more than a generator setup) to keep a 12V battery bank happy with 1500-1800W of inverter use (around 150AH of 12V DC).

I see solar as a great power source, but would only work for me on 1 or 2 trips, of 15ish, each year. That means I have to own a generator, so instead of investing in solar I invested in quiet, light, and fuel efficient Honda's.

It's fully to each their own, we really only boondock which is where solar is very popular but the people who rely on it must not camp in hot or cold, just mild weather. It's not that 80° at 6000' is hot, it that it makes the camper 95°+ if any sun hits it and it just doesn't cool off in time to get the kids in bed at a reasonable hour.

I do think that upgrading my 10w panel (OEM) to 20w or 30w would make a big difference on a few trips a year and isn't $$$$, but again I question the returns I would get from it.

• Owner

I live off of 400w worth of solar, 820 Amp/hours of batteries and about 200w of hydro-generator if full blown two story house for the last 15 years. In the winter all we have is 400w of solar but once again your right shorter days in the winter. Just to make you think. I've run all different kind of modes on the inverter (Turn off the city, low battery transfer, choked/limited city power). But when power goes out I'm not too worried. I've tried all the different modes I've actually done dry runs with no city power at all. Yes I can still survive on 400w of solar for normal every day.

But if you learn about economizing on power it will go a long ways. Yeah one of my projects is going to be efficient lighting for the RV but that's whole other subject. As for usage I typically use my RV in the warm part of the summer so furnace usage is pretty minimal. I really hate to run the A/C much its just way too loud and obnoxious for me. Never the less I live here in this two story house without A/C for 25 years with outside temps as high as 90-100*F in the summer.

Yes a generator is a good back up plan for days that sun is limits because of storms or winter time. But still in all I avoid using my generator (RV 2kw or 6.5kw house) because the noise, fuel requirements, etc. If I was to plan a trip in the fall like hunting I would most likely just take a generator knowing the sunlight hours is short. But if I'm just out Rv'ing (relaxing) I'm not going to sweat it so I got to turn my toys off and let the batteries charge a bit before bed.

Just some food for thought... :)

• Staff

Yeah it's all in how/what you are doing.

We spent the weekend in one of the Idaho City Yurt's, and definitely think living off grid would be fun. Lots of options to support it, but wood heat is the #1 in winter. I think 400w of solar would go a long way if the main source of heat didn't require any electricity.

• Like 1

• Owner

Well I finished my transfer switch mod.

post-1-0-80888000-1403903418_thumb.jpg

The switch is a 3 position DPDT switch so its a ON OFF ON. One ON Side is Inverter then the other ON side is city power. The center off is a nice touch to give a absolute break between both ON positions insuring that there is no cross feeding of power between the city and inverter.

post-1-0-81700200-1403903429_thumb.jpg

Added my cord and plugged into the inverter.

Really sweet setup. Walk in flip on the inverter and toggle the switch and presto all outlets are powered. The only kicker is remember to turn fridge from Auto to LP because it complains about AC HI. I know its not the cleanest inverter but it will handle charging cell phones, laptop, run my old school 13" TV, A/D TV tuner, VCR or DVD player.

So now I can grab the little lamp from the closet (Compact Florescent Bulb) and plug in the bedroom for reading light which is much mellower than the over head lights. Maybe I want to lay in bed with the laptop awhile.

I would have to say this project is finished in my book. Working as planned. :cool:

post-1-0-28649500-1403904849_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• Owner

That's exactly how I started out. Was a little portable 400w Inverter (cigarette lighter). Worked but larger surge loads like older TV's and my laptop would bury that little inverter and get the fan running.

This is why my panels are NOT mounted to the RV. It so the RV can be in the shade but the panels can be located in the sun. So I don't require air conditioning while camping.

• 4 weeks later...

OK. I've got some questions about this. Why are you running it through the RV? Why not just have it charge the batteries and run off those? Why the need for the inverter and the switch and all that?

I'm interested in this idea thinking I could run the RV off solar during the day, and only need a quick boost with the generator in the morning and evening to keep the battery up.

OK. I've got some questions about this. Why are you running it through the RV? Why not just have it charge the batteries and run off those? Why the need for the inverter and the switch and all that?

I'm interested in this idea thinking I could run the RV off solar during the day, and only need a quick boost with the generator in the morning and evening to keep the battery up.

I second this...

• Owner
Why are you running it through the RV?

Because the fact I had the inverter as a stand alone and it was a PITA to run extension cors for the TV , A/D converter, DVD player, Laptop etc.

Why not just have it charge the batteries and run off those?

Solar panels are directly tied to the RV batteries already.

Why the need for the inverter and the switch and all that?

Because most of the time I'm boondocking with the RV. Then other problem is bringing a 2kw genny to do the work is a another way but I like the silence. So now if I stop somewhere with the RV I flip two switch inverter power on and the transfer switch to intverter I've now got 120 VAC power to charge a cell phone, etc. No genny to drag out, plug in, no fuel cans to drag around, no worries of my genny being stolen in the night.

Diesel you gotta remember I already live the solar life. So I know how to live on only 4kw worth for power without going over board. (120 VAC, 33 Amps equals 4kw)

2qu6n0n.jpg

hs7242.jpg

I'm not saying you don't know what you are doing. I'm trying to understand why you are doing it that way.

But I think I might know why now. The trailer doesn't turn DC to AC on its own.

I think mine has a built in inverter, but I could be wrong. I'll have to check that out.

• Owner

RV came with two 12V batteries and that's it. No other means of charging. So once you unhooked from the truck there was only battery power. So if you want to stay longer than 1 night you would have to hook up the trailer plug and idle the truck, or bring a generator, or solar. Since both a generator or the truck use fuel and make noise solar is silent.

As for the trailer again it had no 120V power on board so you left with a generator or a inverter. Again generator requires fuel and makes noise where a inverter is silent.

You got to think about the fuel issue and the noise issue. Then look at the solar/inverter as a solution to both. As for the panels yes I got to fold the legs up and put them in the RV before we go. (thieft issue).

• Staff

I think mine has a built in inverter, but I could be wrong. I'll have to check that out.

Not many OEM TT's have inverters, in fact I am not sure if I have ever seen one at a show or otherwise. Some of the $$ RV's do, and probably some $$ 5ers and Toy Haulers too.

only one night on batteries? my camping week i went 5 days on battery alone. this was with the heater running at night. all the inside lights when we were inside and the flood light for cooking outside. my battery setup is kinda different though.

i run 2 6V. i'm not sure what they are rated at. but i know after 5 days, i had plenty of battery left.

i did however find out that my inverter or converter... the fan no longer works.

when i started my onboard onan 4000 gen it only charges for about 15 min then kicks on and off. i'm thinking it's overheating...

• Owner

I still running the standard deep cycle batteries on the RV which where brand new when I bought the RV. So when these batteries die I'll replace them with better. But it might be some time being I typically get 10 years from batteries. Even the massive batteries for the house only last 1 day without any charge source. (4kw inverter @ 120 VAC)

What I call dead is 11.5 Volts (12 Volt System) and 23.0 Volts (24 Volt System). I cut it short to prevent plate damage to the batteries. I know 12V can be taken as low as 10.8 but its risky and could cause permanent damage.

I need to figure out how to do this. I've been kind of wanting a similar setup like this since I got my trailer.

Last night, we had a really bad storm come through and knocked power out in many places of the local area. Within 100 miles I would say... We lost power at about 6pm and did not get it back until 130am.

Here I'am, just got back from the gas station with 25 gallons of gas for our generator. Poured the first 5 gallons in, and whattya know, the power comes back on! :duh:

• Owner

I need to figure out how to do this. I've been kind of wanting a similar setup like this since I got my trailer.

Last night, we had a really bad storm come through and knocked power out in many places of the local area. Within 100 miles I would say... We lost power at about 6pm and did not get it back until 130am.

Here I'am, just got back from the gas station with 25 gallons of gas for our generator. Poured the first 5 gallons in, and whattya know, the power comes back on! :duh:

Starter kit. (At least what I picked up)

http://www.harborfreight.com/45-watt-solar-panel-kit-68751-8527.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/1200-watt-continuous2400-watt-peak-power-inverter-69659-8890.html

Mopar Mom wants me to build another soon for the guest house for keeping the refrigerator going and a few extra watts for other things down there. I'm thinking like 2-4 deep cycle batteries, solar kit again, 2kw inverter.