• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Until about 3:00 today I just kept trying to start the truck by running the lift pump and cranking it. I had to crack injectors and do all of that crap a couple of times to get it to run. I did this twice then started pulling lines apart further up the system

At about 5 o'clock tonight I finally got everything ungelled enough to make the truck run with a sustainable fuel pressure. I actually ended up pulling the line off of the intake to the oem fuel filter. from there it was barely running any fuel out with the lift pump on. I kept running the pump on and off for an hour (Pouring precious diesel on the ground) until the blockage finally came out, and when it did fuel went EVERYWHERE! In the meantime I had jumpers hooked to a buddy's truck to keep the batteries at a decent level. I'm positive I got either contaminated fuel or untreated fuel.

Thank you ED for helping me get everything working again. I put another dose of 911 in tank but couldn't fill up at a truck stop thanks to a test. The truck is plugged in now and I'm hoping it will be ok in the morning!

Just saying, not arguing here…………………..but I've never had a fuel gelling problem since I've been running 2 stroke oil as an additive and since I've had my GDP Walbro LP fuel system.

Thinking "outside the box" here………………..My Walbro is able to produce pressures, and enough volume that "the extreme" cold will effect me less than others running other systems.

Tell me what y'all think before I do!!! :2cents:  :tongue:

Full dose of 1oz to 1 gallon of two stroke since I bought the truck!

I am up and down the highway every other week and buying at the same station is not always an option. Never have had any trouble with bad fuel, diesel anyway. Never had any gelling issues either, but I dont see the temps most of yall do as a steady diet. I am counting myself as fortunate.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Has anyone tried adding kerosine to diesel, guy at work does it to all his farm stuff says it helps. Not sure of ratio but I think he said 10 gallons to 50 is what he does. I thought kerosine was like jet fuel. Just bringing this thread up as it might get cold soon. And not sure where he gets it but he's got 50 gallon drums of it.

The times  I do use  kero..       I'll put   10 gallons  in  a  tractor.  (IF IT WILL FIT  :mad: )   most  the time,   the  tank is too full to add  very much of  anything!    If your   tank  is  almost full,  top it off with kero..  but  try not to get it too  diluted..     1/4th  total??

Your right,  it is  pretty  'light'.  and  DRY.     This is where  throwing  some  2 stroke  back in  to help with lube.

I look at  kero .    as  the  next level   down from  #1.      I only use kero  as  a   emergency   fix.     There are  better and cheaper means to keep the   fuel flowing.

'course,   the  cheapest  way to buy is  bulk at   fuel/oil   depots..      next would be   something like  a  farm supply store.  (five gallon jugs)  and  the worst  but most easy to find..  Hardware, home improvement..   (1 gallon  bottles) 

Bulk price  would be  about  5.50 gallon...  up to   almost 10 bucks a gallon  for the  little plastic  jug size.

Dude,   it's been   40 and 50   all this week!     tonight is  when the  '****'  hits  the fan..    You sure you're   gelled?

Edited by rancherman
  • Like 1

The times I do use kero.. I'll put 10 gallons in a tractor. (IF IT WILL FIT :mad: ) most the time, the tank is too full to add very much of anything! If your tank is almost full, top it off with kero.. but try not to get it too diluted.. 1/4th total??

Your right, it is pretty 'light'. and DRY. This is where throwing some 2 stroke back in to help with lube.

I look at kero . as the next level down from #1. I only use kero as a emergency fix. There are better and cheaper means to keep the fuel flowing.

'course, the cheapest way to buy is bulk at fuel/oil depots.. next would be something like a farm supply store. (five gallon jugs) and the worst but most easy to find.. Hardware, home improvement.. (1 gallon bottles)

Bulk price would be about 5.50 gallon... up to almost 10 bucks a gallon for the little plastic jug size.

Dude, it's been 40 and 50 all this week! tonight is when the '****' hits the fan.. You sure you're gelled?

Thanks for clarifying kerosine this fast, no I'm not gelled, I was just reading old posts and came across this one that nobody mentioned kerosine so I tossed it in there.

Dude :)

Edited by Dieselfuture

Gotcha! 

Kero is  probably the  best way to 'get  back online'   .  but it's  expensive,  and  not very  healthy for  pumps  and injectors.  

It makes a fantastic   parts cleaner.  (hint hint)..   :)

Edited by rancherman
  • Like 1

I see, the guy I'm talking about is really hard to convince, and I mentioned 2stroke oil and got a dumb look back, I talked to him before and got similar responses back so I'm just going to let him be. He actually got a diesel shop, mostly fixes farm stuff, busses, tractors, and not cheap ether but some of the most common things he never heard off.

Yep same with general public as it is even here, old school forms of thinking are near impossible to change unless one sees the cause and effect directly and if its ones own pocket book that was affected by old school thinking that caused the issues.

I see it at work all the time even had to chew some butt on a couple techs on my crew I caught about to prefill fuel filters a few weeks ago because they were trying to take a short cut and not use the proper tooling laying less than 30 feet from them to prime the system properly.  Injectors on our mine equip are about the same price as any other but the fact most engines take 12-16 of them along with the extreme cost of downtime by lost production really adds up fast plus cost of parts and labor if a vendor repairs it.

• Like 1

I've already gelled once this year  :cry:  It was after I got my truck back from paint and it was full of summer fuel... 10 below zero and it gelled. I didn't even think about adding anything because I was just happy to have it back after 10 weeks in the paint booth  :duh: