• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Brakes Pulsing

There are some hillbillies on YouTube that replace the bearings. I don't see their project being precision. I don't think it's within the capabilities of most of us. I would consider adding the grease zerks though. That seems reasonable. Then you can maintain the hubs. But I bet it would void any warrenty.

• Like 1

OK, finally had time to check the wheel bearings; jacked up both front wheels, one at a time and using a bar tried to move the tire by putting the bar in the spokes of the rim and rock the wheel. I was not able to detect any movement, I put one hand on the wheel to try to feel any shifing motion and could not, I then tried to move the wheel by hand to get a better sense of movement and agian nothing. I did this on both front wheels, they both seam solid. I slowly rotated the wheel and do feel/hear a slight "clunk" (did not sound right)  much like the pulsing I heard before, I wonder if a u-joint would cause this. Any more ideas?

FOUND THE PROBLEM: I was running out of time so I took my truck to Les Schwab Tire and brakes, to see if they could find something. They did find the front brakes needed to be replaced, and the rotors were too far to surface, so I had them do the brakes which included fluid flush etc. a little while later he came in and showed me cause of the pulsing; the rear rotor was worn down so far the vent vanes where showing through! The vents that where protruding where rubbing on what was left of the brake pad and causing the pulsing, the weird part is we both thought the problem was in the front axle area.

I know, I should have checked the brakes sooner, had that nagging voice in my head for the last year or so. So, that's one for the books, brakes can be the cause of all kinds of noises and vibrations.

Thanks to everyone for the help!

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I kept meaning to check the brakes, I change the tires out every winter and spring (snow tires) but forget to check because it's less than ideal weahter conditions, cold and raining. From now on I will be checking them! Live and learn.