• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Air Starter On A 24 Valve

Those air starters  have  always  been on  my   'cool things  that are different from the crowd'  list.   

I  am afraid  that   if  I  ever  am   backed up to the   cattle load out  chute,     the  start-up  might  cause  a   major  stampede....   

It'd  be awesome  to  drive  thru  Mickey-D's,    shut  her off  so   the   kid   on the other end of  the intercom  can  hear  over the   5 inch  straight exhaust,  only to be   'DRILLED'   by   the  scream  of  the  starter!    :evilgrin:  :evilgrin: 

Edited by rancherman

They are very common on large mining equipment, like stated above there are good and bad things associated with them. The only OTR trucks I have seen them on were older Fords where the engine was mounted in the frame at an angle, laid over on their side a bit.

You don't remember the older Consolidated Freight trucks with the huge red air tank standing up behind the cab? They used to be real common years ago.

• Like 1

Not sure why anyone would really want one.  I had never been around one but got a KW to run one day with an air starter.  Needed a new pair of shorts after hitting the starter the first time.  Louder than I care to have by far plus what do you do when you run out of air???  Not like there might be someone to pump it up for ya like with a big rig.

A lot of marine diesels use air start systems. A central air systems is plumbed to each engine and at least 1 air acumulator is isolated from the system as an emergency backup. In some applications batteires are only used on the emergency generators to limit the number of lead acid batteries. It pretty cool when you hear 6-8 engines firing up.

Run out of air?

1. fire up your air compressor that is buried in the back.. and probably out of gas.

2. swipe some air from another truck..

3. call your buddy for his mobile compressor.

4. if your starting air is part of your brake air, you can't pull.. brakes are applied!

5. 'hand pump'. about 3 hours of FURIOUS pumping...

6. walk home.

• Like 2