• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Need A Personal Snow Plow But How Big?

I want to get a snow plow for my truck (came with plow package).  My truck is L-O-N-G so not ideal but I own it.  I have a couple of long runs so need full angle.  How big a blade to I really need to push the snow outside the wheel track?  Contrary to commercial plowing where a wider cut is time & time is money...  in tight quarters a smaller blade has advantages.   

I'd like a poly plow to get the no rust (at least on that part) and lighter weight but cost is a big factor too.  

I'd need a spare set of rims & serious winter tires... 

• Owner

Even on my ATV I did 1 size larger than the ATV. Typically they sell 48" blade for it I took the 56" blade to keep the snow from rolling back into the front tire on full tilt. My neighbors blade is 48" and his ATV will lose traction on that front wheel from the snow coming around that side of the blade. Like Mine bigging just that bit wider on full tilt it gives just that extra few more inches and keeps the snow away from the front tires.

I know this is ATV vs. Truck but gives you a idea...

• Like 1

We have one on the ATV,  lol!  Wife went through (soaked) 3 sets of insulated ski clothes this last storm.   I've long wanted to put a plow on this truck.  Then I could plow from the heated cab & still a much bigger cut than ATV.    

Edited by flagmanruss

I have a plow on my ATV and I also subscribe to  the principle of using a blade that is wider than the track of the vehicle.

I use a 60 inch blade and when I have it fully canted (right or left) it clears a path thats easy for me to keep the track within the newly plowed area.

• Like 1

Around here Boss V plows are king although we have few plows, we do not get straight down snow often if ever, most of our snow blows in in piles so plows are not practical for most other than contractors who do snow removal in big lots on a regular basis. loaders and blowers are the primary snow removal tools in our area due to the amount and the way our snow piles in other than open roads.

One could start with a plow for a couple of snows and then you would be screwed as you would have no place to move it after making the initial trail which there after fills in first with the next snow blow and when it thaws and freezes into near concrete barrier strength then you are down to blowing it and moving and piling it with a loader anyhow.