• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Extra Life Oil Filters

One thing I’ve seen was filters and oil discussions general brings a heated argument, good to see this one isn’t.

I have read and studied on this and it seems to vary a lot. Even with the engineers where I retired from. So the one thing I can count on is documented results. Normally I do between 10k to 15k per year on my Dodge, the average amounts of driving light and the general use of my trailer each year. So I change the oil at 10k. Never had any problems with this. Each time I send a sample in for full results. Because I wanted to decide what is best for me, and this manner was normal for me to accept and be comfortable with. 

I normally use Mobile 1 full synthetic oil, 5w-40. And I know others like and prefer other brands, but this is what I use. So keeping this as a standard, my variable will be the filter, fresh oil each change and a different  filter brand each change. The sample results indicated if they preform for me or not.

To make a long story short, (it took 6 years to decide this) the best results were very close, the top 2 were Baldwin and Donaldson filters with Fleetguard close behind. I have made the Donaldson ELF7349 my standard. The results from my samples indicated they were better than the next closest brand, Baldwin. 

I just suggest trying a few samples each change with the variable being ‘only' the filters with fresh oil of the same brand and weight, and decide from there. 

As to if they can plug early, I never know if they ever have, I have no flow indication or delta pressure indications to determine this and would like to know a simple way to know when it happens. 
  • Like 4

I am looking at sending a sample of my used oil in on my next oil change. I have never done it before and am curious as to where my truck stands. What is the process for doing this? Do I need to use a special container? What is the best oil analysis lab to use and why? Thanks for any info!!

• Like 2

I use Schaeffer's anaylis kit as that is the oil I use exclusively in all my engines. I stumbled across a neat little program that Fleetgaurd has called the Monitor program, when I get some more time I'm going to look into it a little more but so far I like the looks of it.

• Like 2

Old biker to determine this via your own research did you at least put the same brand new air filter in at the time of every oil change, if not then it is a flawed experiment from the start?

If possible do you have the oil analysis reports from each progressively to post up so I could look at them for myself and see what you saw to make the determination of which was the better choice?

• Like 1

The filter used has been the Fleetguard LF 16035. Hope I typed the right # it's the standard Statapore Filter.

Will be using LF 9028 , samples on oil will be done every 5,000 miles. This filter has the stacked disc media along with the Stratapore.

Old biker to determine this via your own research did you at least put the same brand new air filter in at the time of every oil change, if not then it is a flawed experiment from the start?

Yes the filter was the same and new each time. I do the test and basic service all together. I'm old and lazy, I only want to jump in and make a mess once if possible. I'm not a pro, but I try to maintain a constant when sampling, other wise it's a waste of time and money. Right now I'm out  of state visiting a friend who's wife was diagnosed with Alzheimer and she wants to see everyone before it overpowers her and she fears forgetting friends and family. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

One thing I’ve seen was filters and oil discussions general brings a heated argument, good to see this one isn’t.

I have read and studied on this and it seems to vary a lot. Even with the engineers where I retired from. So the one thing I can count on is documented results. Normally I do between 10k to 15k per year on my Dodge, the average amounts of driving light and the general use of my trailer each year. So I change the oil at 10k. Never had any problems with this. Each time I send a sample in for full results. Because I wanted to decide what is best for me, and this manner was normal for me to accept and be comfortable with. 

I normally use Mobile 1 full synthetic oil, 5w-40. And I know others like and prefer other brands, but this is what I use. So keeping this as a standard, my variable will be the filter, fresh oil each change and a different  filter brand each change. The sample results indicated if they preform for me or not.

To make a long story short, (it took 6 years to decide this) the best results were very close, the top 2 were Baldwin and Donaldson filters with Fleetguard close behind. I have made the Donaldson ELF7349 my standard. The results from my samples indicated they were better than the next closest brand, Baldwin. 

I just suggest trying a few samples each change with the variable being ‘only' the filters with fresh oil of the same brand and weight, and decide from there. 

As to if they can plug early, I never know if they ever have, I have no flow indication or delta pressure indications to determine this and would like to know a simple way to know when it happens. 

You made a good choice in a   oil , just so you all know I retired from the oil industry, I started with Skelly Oil Co. went thru the merger with Getty and made it thru the buy out by Texaco , finished out my time with Chevron , I too use Mobil oils though it is because it's easy to get and when I worked for Skelly we competed against them in the markets we were in , I know their products well they make a good oil both gas an diesel.

Good to hear from another oilman. I was on the west coast and hired into ARCO, but before I could retire, BP bought us out.

Just a comment if I can. Over the years I read a lot about oils, from the oil companies and oil sellers, and naturally the manufactures always said theirs were the best. So while I was trying to find a good analysis company for when I retired and couldn't get it done for free, I ended up with BlackStone. Their results were the same as what my plants sample reports were. Heck, I had to go by them for over 3 decades and they always kept my on specs for Federal  and States product standards. 

I will say BlackStone has a report this month about the difference of the full sync oils. Might be worth the time to look it up. The cost from analysis companies vary, but are not to far apart. Who are you willing to trust ? Also, if your getting an analysis AND changing oil each time, why get a TBN and waste the extra money ? Good oil, good filter and on time maintenance is the best you can do for getting your money out of your vehicle investment.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Ok , just a quick update , out to 35,000 miles still within limits , this is with standard stratapore filter , will now switch to the LF 9028 fleetguard (dual filter media)  and will see in another 5,000 miles what the UOA shows..

Sweet. I had my filter guy price me a donaldson and he was told that donaldson is having big issues with warranties right now. Cant remember what it was exactly but something along with issues with people running extended mileage on filters or something

What method are you using to get your samples? I get sample kits cheap so i might sample every filter change and obviously every oil change

Edited by mopartechnician
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

How does everyone feel about Luber Finer filters? It is one of the filter brands that I haven't heard anything about. Quality? Where they stand concerning other brands such as Fleetgaurd or Donaldson? What I do know is they are owned by the Fram corporation, but that doesn't necessarily mean that Fram makes them. Thoughts?