• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

White Smoke After Injector Install Help

wakerc

hey yall need some help here. Had to replace my injectors due to multiple bad injectors (shop did return flow test).  Ordered injectors from diesel care and when I installed them the truck idled fine for about 5 minutes then i pulled out of drive and gave it a little bit of gas and heard a ting sound and truck started dumping white smoke with rough idle.  Got back in garage, figured injector wasnt seated properly and pulled all injectors and tubes.  One of them had a clean tip so i figured that was the injector that unseated.  reinstalled everything, started it up and once again dumping white smoke with rough idle and a knock.  Called diesel care and they suggested caping off each fuel line at the rail and see which one stops the smoking. they think that the system wasnt primed properly and air made injector stick open. 

Could this be the case? should i cap rail and see or should i pull all injectors and send all back (already not happy cus injectors i ordered were backordered and they sent me 40 overs instead of the 50's like I wanted)?

Thanks for any help!

03 Cummins common rail

Video of truck idling: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfDbbNmhbHs&feature=youtu.be

Edited by wakerc

• Staff

Are they new or reman injectors?

The priming procedure is below, but essentially it is self priming and if it starts it's primed.

STANDARD PROCEDURE - FUEL SYSTEM PRIMING
A certain amount of air becomes trapped in the fuel system when fuel system components on the supply and/or
high-pressure side are serviced or replaced. Fuel system priming is accomplished using the electric fuel transfer (lift)
pump.
Servicing or replacing fuel system components will not require fuel system priming.
The fuel transfer (lift) pump is self-priming: When the key is first turned on (without cranking engine), the pump
operates for approximately 1 to 2 second and then shuts off (Note: When ambient temperatures are cold enough to
cause the intake air heaters to operate, the fuel lift pump will operate during the entire intake air pre-heat cycle).
The pump will also operate for up to 25 seconds after the starter is quickly engaged, and then disengaged without
allowing the engine to start. The pump shuts off immediately if the key is on and the engine stops running.
1. Turn key to CRANK position and quickly release key to ON position before engine starts. This will operate fuel
transfer pump for approximately 25 seconds.
2. Crank engine. If the engine does not start after 25 seconds, turn key to OFF position, and leave it off for at least
5 seconds. Repeat previous step until engine starts.
3. Fuel system priming is now completed.
4. Attempt to start engine. If engine will not start, proceed to following steps. When engine does start, it may run
erratically and be noisy for a few minutes. This is a normal condition.
CAUTION: Do not engage the starter motor for more than 30 seconds at a time. Allow two minutes between
cranking intervals.
5. Perform previous fuel priming procedure steps using fuel transfer pump. Be sure fuel is present at fuel tank.
6. Crank the engine for 30 seconds at a time to allow fuel system to prime.

• Like 1