• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Looking To Be Educated On Vw Purchase.

joecool911

We are looking to buy a high mileage vehicle. But not a sardine can, as my wife and I are not small people. We are thinking of a Passat or Jetta TDI. We do not generally buy new. But rather a few years old. Are there better years to look at? What to watch for? Are the automatics reliable or better going with sick shift? We would be paying cash and most likely private party. Do any of you have real life fuel mileage experience with these cars?

Look for a Passat if you are bigger people, the front seats have plenty of room in a Jetta but if you plan on having even small kids in the back you will definitely want a Passat plus they have more head room as well as rear seat leg room, we have an 03 Jetta TDI GLS 5spd manual with about 250K on it and it is still a solid rig 100% stock and still oem clutch and fuel system but it could use a set on new injectors.

I like the 99-03 body style the best and it has a solid body, engine and injection system similar to our VP rigs only with little to no issues they do have a Bosch VP pump but not sure what model it is right off.

I have never heard of any automatic tranny issues with them but I have not looked into it either as we do not have one. to be honest.

The 04 - ? had a different fuel system on them but I think they are still a good system, not sure when they went with more emissions.

I know MnTom has several newer ones in his family so he could answer questions about the PD "Pump Deuce"fuel system  similar to common rail I believe and how they are holding up for him.

Mileage will be between 40-50 depending on car and driving conditions.

• Like 1

I have an '01 Jetta GLS TDI w/ 5sp.  I bought it new and went to Texas to pick it up because I got a much better deal there than anywhere else in the good ol USA.

I have 142k on mine now.  The only engine related issue I have had is I lost the mass flow sensor at around 30k miles but that was a warranty issue.  I am running the stock clutch, replace the tires once and the brakes once in this time frame.  I bought this car for my commuter car and I get excellent mpg's.  I have kept records on every tank of fuel I have used over these years and my average mpg is a little over 48.  I have had high's in the low 50's on long trips and lows in the high 30's in the winter driving where there is a lot of idling and winter fuel.

The stock engine in the 99-03 body style is rated at 90hp.  It is pretty peppy and is hard to tell it is a diesel.  People will often ask if it is a diesel when they see me using the green covered pump handle at the refueling station. 

About 2 years ago I chipped it with a device that claims 30% increase in hp.  What I noticed is a nice increase in acceleration performance and I get improved mpgs.  I made a recent 700+ mile trip to Fresno California from Idaho and got 58 mpg on the trip down and 54 mpg on the trip back. 

I think it was with the 2004 models that VW made some changes to the fuel system, increased the displacement and of course the HP went up a little but the mileage dropped off on this engine.

Then VW went for a year or two without producing any TDI's because of trying to meet the new diesel emmission requirements and then re-introduced the TDI once they were able to meet the new emmission requirements. I think the re-intro was around the 2010 model year but I am not exactly certain if that is the correct time frame.  This new TDI of course has increased displacement as well as increased emmission controls hung on the engine.  HP is also up and as you would guess mpg's are also down.

The TDI engine has been the same whether in the Jetta or the Passat.  As mentioned by W & F the back seat of the Passat has more leg room than the Jetta but it doesn't get any better mpg if that is your specific mission.  One thing about the Passat is that you get a little higher end ride than the Jetta.  Another thing that the Passat has offered in the past is a 4 wheel drive option (called 4-Motion) which hasn't been available on the Jetta version.  I am not sure if 4-motion was available in the Passat when you have the TDI but I thought it was.

I have never had an auto so I can't offer any advice on how well they hold up.

So my advice to you is if you want the best potential mpg then look for the 99-03 version TDI.  A stick will get you 3-5+ higher mpgs than the auto version.  If you want the most front and back seat room then choose the Passat version for those years.  If the back seat room is not as important to you then the Jetta body style is a little more sleek looking than the Passat (but that is just my personal opinion). From time to time I have seen these years for sale that have less than 100k on them.  But I have also seen junk as well.

The VW has been a solid car and I wouldn't be afraid of buying one that has been taken care of.  Good luck in your search.

I have some experience with a couple of 2006 Jetta TDIs and a 2012 Jetta Sportwagon TDI. The '06 is called a "Pump Duece" engine, but it is basically a CR style with the cam shaft actuating the injectors. The only real problem they are known to have is camshaft problems. If you want good info you can look here: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a5/2005-2006-VW-Jetta-TDI-buying-guide.htm The DSG auto tranny is really a manual transmission that is shifted by the computer. They are VERY solid and reliable.The only issue with them is the oil is very specific and theyhave been known to have a problem with the dual mass flywheel. Just go to the WIKI section of myturbodiesel.com and you will have a lot of great info. My daughter is thinking of selling hers this spring. Something else to think about if you buy one is to buy VCDS www.ross-tech.com That software will give you the ability to scan the computer and even allow you to change things even the dealer can't. I have it and it works great!

Edited by MnTom

• 2 weeks later...

If you do buy, get all of the maintenance record, these cars will run but are maintenance hogs, and stay on top of the timing belt/chain.

i have an 03 vw Passat 1.8T, and while i just bought the car it has been in our family for a few years, and it is a manual , has about 240K on the clock now.

Got a 2003 Passat 2.8l 4 motion sitting in the driveway with a blown engine. Something let lose and it spit all the oil out before the warden could get it shut down. She said it started knocking very loud for a few seconds before she could shut it off. Waiting for the snow to melt to have a look at it.

It has been very costly to keep the emissions related parts functioning and even though the rest of the car has been reasonable, I'll never own another VW.

If you do get VW, and plan on working on it, I'd highly recommend looking into this: http://ross-tech.com/products.html for diagnostics. Very helpful and worth every penny.

If you do get VW, and plan on working on it, I'd highly recommend looking into this: http://ross-tech.com/products.html for diagnostics. Very helpful and worth every penny.

That is the best money I have ever spent for diagnostics PLUS you can change a bunch of things to suit your tastes and likes.

• Like 1

The only issue we had with the engine was at around 150K was a couple of things, one was normal maintenance of having to clean the carbon from the intake manifold and second I take it to the dealer for timing belt replacements and at about 50 k after the last on we had an extremely hard start and heavy white smoke issues all of a sudden and couldn't figure it out, took it to the dealer and told them a few things to check to satisfy my own curiosity and had I not told them to check the timing they would not have and that was what the issue was, for some reason the timing slipped to a retarded point, I had them set the timing to the advanced end of spec and it has been flawless ever since.

It is amazing what you can do with VCDS.

How true! There are a few things you can change that even a dealer can't! I wish there was something available for our trucks.......

• Like 1

Must be whats referred to as the *** Com on the VW / Audi forums? Never had a laptop until a couple years ago so I never looked into it, Wife kinda wants a new VW in a year or two if it winds up being so I may look into this, she still hates the idea of parting with the 03 though. She got 310K out of a 95 neon so I guess this one will have to run for 500K.The body of the neon was a 2 door coupe and was a rattle trap past 200K this 03 is still solid as a rock at 250K.

WTH why is it blocking out the leters v....a....g?

Must be whats referred to as the *** Com on the VW / Audi forums? Never had a laptop until a couple years ago so I never looked into it, Wife kinda wants a new VW in a year or two if it winds up being so I may look into this, she still hates the idea of parting with the 03 though. She got 310K out of a 95 neon so I guess this one will have to run for 500K.The body of the neon was a 2 door coupe and was a rattle trap past 200K this 03 is still solid as a rock at 250K.

Probably some family friendly filters doing the blocking.

I think the one I got is the VCDS lite for around $130 4 or 5 years ago.

If I recall, I paid $270 for my VCDS. Just so you are aware, Bill, you almost need a laptop to change the fuel filter on the newer cars. VW says to not fill the filter canister and to manually operate the transfer pump to fill the canister. The reason for that is to lessen the possibility of contaminated fuel introduction.

• Like 1

Must be whats referred to as the *** Com on the VW / Audi forums?

It would be a 'bad' word filter. You can set them up to intercept just about any word or part of a word. Sice the letters can be interpreted as a "female body part" it is considered a bad word.

If you do buy, get all of the maintenance record, these cars will run but are maintenance hogs, and stay on top of the timing belt/chain.

i have an 03 vw Passat 1.8T, and while i just bought the car it has been in our family for a few years, and it is a manual , has about 240K on the clock now.

Is most of the maintenance within the capabilities of a cummins owner?

Is most of the maintenance within the capabilities of a cummins owner?

Just my opinion but if you have average to small hands and some patience you'll do ok.

Google this repair. 2003 2.8l passat combi valve replacement.

Been almost 2 years and I've still got scars on the backs of my hands.

It would be a 'bad' word filter. You can set them up to intercept just about any word or part of a word. Sice the letters can be interpreted as a "female body part" it is considered a bad word.

I guess they need to rewrite the middle school text books then as this is a common anatomy term, if this is blocked as a bad word then we are dead as a society. :cry:

How can they teach this term to 10 years olds and hand out condoms to kids in middle schools and then ban the word on public forums where I have yet to see anyone under 16 years old. Doesn't make any freaking sense to me.................

Alright, so someone school me here. I've registered on a TDI forum and get no responses. I forgot how much of a cold shoulder I can get on other forums!

I was looking into the VW Passat TDI and I read up that they make an AWD called the 4-motion. It sounds like the only vehicles like this with the 4-motion are gasoline powered?

I did some reading up on them and it sounds like these VW's have their fair share of problems. Sounds like the biggest thing is the timing belt and with the passat, the balance shaft.

This is the B5 generation, though.

I can't seem to determine what the best TDI engine is though.

I'm looking at a wagon as well.